Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

How do I update maps

Customer Question

How do I update maps
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.

What is the make and model number of the device you would like to update the maps for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Garmin nüvi 250W

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

First, you will need to download and install the WebUpdater software to your computer from the Garmin website - http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Then connect your Nuvi 250W to the computer using the USB cable that came packaged with the device. Run the WebUpdater software and it will detect the latest software and map updates available for your Nuvi 250W.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have followed the instructions, I think. I arrive at "It looks like you already have the mapsgalaxy"

How do I check I have updated my satnav.

Sorry for being so thick

Jeff XXXXXX

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

The Mapsgalaxy toolbar is not part of Garmin's software.
You may have installed something else.
Try the link again - http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp
Ensure you click to download the Webupdater software, and not any other software that may be advertised on the site.
If you still have difficulty, let me know what links you are clicking on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I click on your link http://www8.garmin.co/etc nothing happens. If I go to Google with your link get an Amazon site offering to update the maps for £26. Is this where I hould be?

Jeff XXXXXX

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,
It seems Google is diverting you to a different site.
Please try this link: http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks. The link seems o have worked. Is it possible to check that the updates have been succesfuly installed?

Jeff XXXXXX

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

Yes, you can check the updates have installed by going to Settings - Map - Info and check the map version that is currently installed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have followed your instruction. I arrive at map info whic says
City Navigator 2008 (1) All" wha does this mean?

Jef XXXXXX

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,
This means that you have the 2008 version of the City Navigator maps installed, so the latest maps have not been installed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried to reinstall without success. I still have 2008 version. What can you sugest

Jeff XXXXXX

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,
Which map does the WebUpdater software suggest is the latest version for your Nuvi?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am getting nowhere. Your response "which map does the Webupdater software suggest is the latest version" is not helpful as I don't know how to access this information. My problem is that I follow the onscreen instructions and am presented with a variety of choices but no mean of knowing which to select. I wonder if it would be better if I just bought the updfate package from Amazon.What do you think?

Jeff XXXXXX

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,
If you aren't sure which choices to select during the Webupdater process, then the update package from Amazon would be more straightforward and easier for you to install.