TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

my tv does not output analog audio from hdmi sources such as

Customer Question

my tv does not output analog audio from hdmi sources such as set top boxes. It has a s/pdif audio output which has to be enabled via the menu. Will this output digital audio from hdmi sources? since i want to use it with a Bose SOLO.

Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Yes, the S/PDIF output should work with HDMI since both are Digital connections to the TV set. On TV's with the older analog RCA jacks and the S/PDIF, you find the RCA inputs use the RCA audio out, and the Digital HDMI uses the S/PDIF output for sound.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi TV Tech 1

My TV is a Hitachi 42LDF30UA if that helps. Is there any way I can check if there is an output from the SP/DIF without using a special device?

The manual tells me that the analog headphone output is disabled when S/PDIF output is enabled. Is this significant? The set has both optical and coaxial S/PDIF sockets.

I like to be absolutely sure before buying the BOSE SOLO.

Regards John Sylvester

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Around the back, connectivity is limited to optical and coaxial digital inputs and a single stereo phono analogue connection.

Those options do allow you to connect Standard Audio RCA outputs, and Headphones can connect to it that same route, but I'd prefer RCA outputs over a Headphone to RCA adaptor cable. The second choice is not impedance matched like the first one is, but it's been used.

The preferred method for HDMI audio is the optical or the Digital Coax connection, and the Bose Solo has both.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there

I'm satisfied with the info received.

Thanks a lot

John Sylvester

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

You're welcome. When it comes right down to it the Bose Solo is capable of connecting to any of your Audio output connections no matter what.

The only issue I would see....headphone output. You'd have to adjust the TV's volume to the Solo so that it doesn't sound weak and hissy, yet not overdrive the Solo where the sound gets distorted and mushy sounding. Somewhere between those two extremes, and closer to the higher volume limit, you'll find the sound is clear, has a wide range of adjustability to it, and that is the preferred setting place. If the sound is hissy at 1 and then distorts at 7....I'll go 3/4 of the way which is 6 x 3/4 ....5. That's the setting I'd set it at.

That's only needed if you use the headphone jack.

If you would, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me, and if at all possible please rate me highly. If you can't, please use the reply button, contact me, let me know what you need to rate me highly, ok? I'd appreciate that.