Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Why does a Toshiba television lose sound intermittently but

Customer Question

Why does a Toshiba television lose sound intermittently but returns when the set is switched off and then on again. It is only 18 months old. Thank you

I can't seem to find how long the guarantee is for this television?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Sound loss on a TV set that can be recovered from by turning the TV off and on again is usually created by HDMI connections, and partial loss of the datastream. That may simply be a situation where you have to unplug the TV and the box delivering HDMI to the TV set, waiting 20 minutes for them to reset, and then powering BOTH back on with the HDMI cable disconnected.

Then you wait one minute and hot-plug the HDMI cable back in and restore the handshaking between the two units. That's worked on several brands of TV, especially Sony and Samsung. Toshiba TV sets aren't as popular as those two brands, so most of our calls have been on the other two. It seems to recover on them.

One other issue I've seen is the actual connectors on the HDMI cable are pulled down due to the weight of the cables or they're push up against a wall causing poor contact. I don't think that's your issue, but I have seen that happen too.

As for warranty...it's usually one year. They don't include the warranty in the customer handbook as it usually printed on the warranty card you send into the manufacturer, or on a separate sheet with the warranty card. The best way to know what your warranty is, is to contact Toshiba directly and see if the warranty is one year or if they have a two year warranty specifically for your model. I rarely see a two year warranty but some models do have them if they are the high end models.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/Contents/Toshiba_uk/EN/Others/TV_Warranty_T&Cs/Limited_Warranty_for_CP_EN_web.pdf

I'm not too keen on giving you the Toshiba Customer Service number because they keep stating £8/min to call 0871(NNN) NNN-NNNN9am - 6pm. They're the first company I see charging for customer service. Email enquiries seem to be free.

Try the reset, let me know if that restores your sound, ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply and information.
The television belongs to my elderly father who I will be visiting today. I can't be sure when I can reply regarding the reset. But will be in touch soon!
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, just make sure you unplug the TV and the source of picture for 20 minutes, and remember to unplug the HDMI and WAIT to plug it back in one minute AFTER the units are powered on. We're trying to get the HDMI input to FORGET the connection so it has to refresh its information.

That's the key to an HDMI reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Not sure what you mean by HMDI. My Dad's television has free view and integral DVD player. So only has an aerial and mains supply.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, he's probably losing his aerial signal just long enough for the picture and sound datastreams to become out of sync. His DVD shouldn't be losing sound in that case.

While you were checking it, did you happen to see some of the picture freeze or turn into small blocks of picture? If so, it is possible his signal strength from his aerial is a little on the weak side. But if his DVD player is also showing this problem, we may have to replace the main board that processes both the sound and picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Dad has two aerials. The Toshiba is acting the same using the other one! So it would appear that there is a fault with it?
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, look on the back of the TV set for a sticker with the TV's model number on it. I'll need that to look up spares for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have now spoken to Toshiba. They will be sending a USB which should rectify the problem. Fingers crossed.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Lord, I pray it is just bad Firmware ...it sure would be nice to find out it's just a glitch in the operating software this time.

Let me know the results when you install it, if we're fortunate Toshiba may come up with a universal update for all their TV models.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello! Thought you might like an up-date re: my Dad's television. Toshiba sent a USB stick which didn't change anything. After another call. A different one was sent as the first one was the wrong one apparently! Still no success. I decided to ring Amazon and spoke to a very nice lady who said would you like a refund as we do not have another of the same television. I of course said yes please. So it has been packaged up and collected. I await my refund and then will shop for a new one! Best wishes to you.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Wow...Amazon impresses me. They don't think twice about exchanges and refunds.

Are you planning on staying with Toshiba or changing brands to Samsung, LG, Sony, or Panasonic ?