Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a set of 4 acme dynamo scans and have them linked via

Customer Question

I have a set of 4 acme dynamo scans and have them linked via 3 dmx cables, dips are set at 10 and 1 master and 1 on slaves and they don't seem to want to run , they work fine on there own but not linked ???
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Note this --

This is for the Dynamo 250.

These have been set as the master [Switch 1 & 10 = ON, All Others Off]
And The Slaves Have Been Set To [Switch 10 = ON, All Others Off]

You stated --

dips are set at 10 and 1 master and 1 on slaves and they don't seem to want to run , they work fine on there own but not linked

Here is where I found that at --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqJoKDOgvM8

His master is set correctly, but I think you have to set #10 on the slaves instead of #1. I don't think the Dynamo 100 is going to have different programming to the 250.

If you plan to DMX these you cant use dip 10 to invert them -you can with a CA8 hand held but NOT in DMX mode -so worth investigating before you set your DMX board and you can't invert them

Give that a try, see if it resolves your problem, ok? Let me know the outcome by replying back to me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi I have tried setting slaves on 10 and still no joy, they are a set of 100s and when they come on it seems as if they are constantly trying to index (flicking side to side ) as soon as I remove the dmx leads they work (stand alone only) fine.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

How does this apply to your situation --

you cant use dip 10 to invert them -you can with a CA8 hand held but NOT in DMX mode

You're getting a response from the slaves I see, but it looks like all the slaves are responding only to the one basic command.

On the last slave I believe you're supposed to connect a Termination resistor on the last daisy chained OUTPUT to the next "nonexistent" lamp.

You have your termination resistor connected to a plug you plug into it?

And what model controller are you using??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

terminator plug purchased, and inserted, the ca8 hand controller has now stopped lighting up, and with the terminator plug inserted, all 4 lights refuse to work at all ????

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Well that just ADDS to the mystery of why your system isn't working.

Now I question the Termination plug, the Cables and its wiring in the Daisy chain....and even the source of Audio driving the lamps.

It works fine when one is connected, but not fine with all four connected, and it worsens when terminated.

Take the termination plug off temporarily....Set Switch one ON in the master. 2, 3 and 4 set switch two ON and then set switch 10 ON on only TWO of those units.

Try the CA8 not only in the master....but go to the other end of the chain and connect the CA 8 there....I don't know why but I thought I saw something about the master being at the END of the set of lamps.

I'm putting all my questions into this Photo --

And I think the one thing that bothers me most is the fact the standalone lamp syncs itself to music, but they are very vague after that simple statement...

Check ALL cables involved with connecting the units. Pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, and 3 to 3.

Check the Audio output cable to the lamps too. I would THINK the XLR outs on your Soundboard would be standard