Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a viera 32 lcd - its started recently. When I switch

Customer Question

I have a viera 32 lcd - its started recently.

When I switch on the tv - after 5 minutes or so - it resizes 16:9 to wide every now and then and then the picture goes completely black .. Its connected to the sky but it isn't the sky box because its ok on the upstairs tv.

I've checked all the different portals but it is the HDML1 portal that the sky is attached to..
it shows on the screen as EC/HDML1 16:9

Help!! I've only had it 3 years...
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Did you unplug the TV set and the Skybox for 20 minutes to reset both?

Even though the Skybox upstairs works....it only tells you the Skybox upstairs works, not BOTH.

And the Skybox is the one responsible for picture sizing, the TV only recieves its picture from sky in the format it sends. And right now your EC/HDMI 16:9 tells me the TV is recieving a 16:9 picture, and it's supposed to not get any bigger than 16:9.

The only picture that should be adjustable/expandable is the 4:3 picture. The picture goes black is the most important part of the Problem....and it takes 5 minutes to act up.

Unplug both for starters. Let's clean out any scrambled software/glitches before we assume we have a hardware failure.

HDMI....disconnect it too. Leave it disconnected between the two units, and wait ONE MINUTE AFTER you plug in the box and the TV and turn both on. Then plug the HDMI back in because that resets the HDMI too.

Then contact me back after doing that. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya

The upstairs sky is a run off from the downstairs one - sorry, I should have made that clear... I've turned it all off for a week when I went on holiday.

I will unplug again when I get home for half hour and report back afterwards. But I dont hold much hope as it was off for a week - a week ago.

Lorna

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok I suspect your Skybox downstairs lets you watch a different TV show than the one you are watching upstairs? If so, then the box is actually 2 different tuners with 2 different video converters and ONE can lock up while the other one works.

If you see the same TV show upstairs and downstairs...then that upstairs one would verify the Skybox is fully functional.

That's when we do unplug the box AND the HDMI cable on your downstairs TV and make sure we've reset the HDMI connection. We always use a "process of elimination" to isolate the problem before we replace any parts.

Give me some feedback on the same show/different show situation with your TV upstairs and downstairs. That'll help me determine the way the whole system works, ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HIya

No - the box downstairs is the only one - and what is showing on one shows on the other...

Lorna

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, same show.....different outputs on the box to 2 different TV sets. It doesn't fully pass muster only because one output on the TV downstairs may be locked up, and I still would like the box and TV unplugged, the HDMI disconnected, and then both powered up, and the HDMI reconnected AFTER one minute.

As long as you do that...we'll know if the box or the TV set is the problem 100%.

HDML1 portal that the sky is attached to..
it shows on the screen as EC/HDML1 16:9

Resetting that HDMI....that's the KEY. Then we'll know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya

Nope - hasn't worked... it didn't work a week ago after being off for a week..

Lorna

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, then we need to replace the main board in your TV set to get the HDMI to work correctly.

Look on the back of your TV set for a model sticker, and get the number highlighted in the model box

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HIya

There is no model sticker on the back.. or number from where I can see it... its affixed to the wall and doesn't move.

Any ideas?

Lorna

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Sometimes Panasonic will put a second sticker on the right edge of the TV frame so the model number can be accessed without having to remove the TV from a wall mount. I know model numbers always start with T...and likely the 3rd letter would be L since it's an LCD.

I suspect it's TCL(screen size) (family letter) (submodel number) or maybe TXL....

Example TCL 32 X 20 or maybe TXL 32ST50, something similar to that layout.

You could look at your customer instruction book, because that usually gives the model number on the front of it.

Here is this years 32 inch lcd with it's model --

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/LED+%26+LCD+TV/TX-L32B6B/Overview/12418447/index.html

These were the 2010 LCD model TV sets from 3 years ago --

TX-L32D28BS
TX-L32D28BW
TX-L32D28BP

TX-L32G20B