Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a Samsung TV UE40d series. When turning on, it automatically

Customer Question

I have a Samsung TV UE40d series.

When turning on, it automatically goes to TV ext source. How do I change it to go to HDMI (Sat) automatically in future
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

I don't think you honestly can get TV mode to disappear, simply because that's the only input on your TV set that let's you access the plug and play setup. So it's setup by software to be the Default input and your TV must have access to it no matter what happens to your TV set. If you unplug power from your TV or you have a power outage for a couple days, it's got to allow you to access the TV input or you'll never be able to reset and restore certain functions to the TV.

But that also raises a question....are you removing power from the TV set ?

And it raises the next question... are you powering on your HDMI device(s) first, before the TV is powered up?

Lastly, do any of your HDMI devices have CEC enabled outputs, and you have the HDMI 1.3 cables on the source and TV units? Usually if you have that....you don't power your TV set up at all. You power up the device, which automatically powers up the TV and sets it to the correct HDMI input it's connected to.

There are workarounds...albeit imperfect and non-intuitive to how we start our TV sets up in the morning.

To me, this is perfect -- I grab my cable box remote, I press power, the box comes on, it turns my TV on, and automatically switches directly over to my HDMI 1 input.

Or

I turn on my DVD, the TV turns on, and automatically switches to HDMI 2

My wife's TV does that...but only with the Blu Ray. Her cable box doesn't have CEC control on it.

And it's brand new from Motorola.

So maybe we should get the Brand and model number off ALL your HDMI connected equipment, and check your TV's menu on each HDMI input and see how the HDMI CONTROL is set up.

And please understand. This is just the basics and the introduction to accessing HDMI CEC control. There's a lot to take in, if you plan on mastering it on your TV.

And Samsung's informative PDF files have been replaced by those Emanuals. They aren't informative at all.

Model number -- UE40D ....5000 , 6000, 7000, or 8000? 6530, 7120, 8510, 5700?

Knowing the correct model numbers on everything HDMI connected is honestly where we have to start to come up with a plan.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for you reply

This has happened over the past 3 - 4 weeks, previously the TV fired up straight to HDMI. I am not aware if anyone has altered the setup, certainly not intentionally.

It doesn't seem to matter which appliance is turned on first.

The idea of a CEC enabled output would seem to be the easy answer, which I will try

Thanks for your help so far

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

CEC enabled TVs and devices connected to HDMI....BOTH have to be turned on and setup in both the TV and the Devices. Those setups are found in the respective menus.

Depending on brand names, I find the settings usually in the SETUP part of the menu.

Usually I find it labeled HDMI - ON/OFF, or it may be labeled as the Brand's CEC name (VieraLink for Panasonic, HDMI Control for Sony, and Samsung uses ANYNET I believe)

Also, if you do get the TV input always popping up on your TV when it didn't previously...it may be because the TV's autoscan setting needs to be scanned so it doesn't find any TV channels, then stores that information in the TV and thus IGNORES it as a Valid and operating INPUT.

That's the only reasons I can see why it worked before and doesn't work that way now.