p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

low hum from my b&w 804s speakers and the occasional buzz for

Customer Question

low hum from my b&w 804s speakers and the occasional buzz for 20 seconds during play
Category: Electronics
Expert:  p0llinate replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!
_________________________

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having speaker troubles.
There are several possible causes of this issue, there could be a problem with the speakers themselves (crossover, wiring) the wires from the amp to the speakers, a problem with the amplifier, or noise/interference being picked up by nearby electrical devices.

To isolate this issue, it would be helpful if you could test the speakers with a different receiver/amplifier to see if the issue persists. It could also help to test a different set of speakers using the same amp and wiring that these speakers are on now. That will help to pinpoint the problem, and we can address service options from there.

In the meantime, also look at the speaker wiring, make sure it secure on both ends, and that the speaker wires are never running parallel to any electrical cords. If they must cross paths, they should do so as close to perpendicular as possible to avoid any interference. If the speakers are near a large tv or other electronic equipment, try moving them a bit further away as well.