TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

In order to install my Sky + box, I need to press the source

Customer Question

In order to install my Sky + box, I need to press the source button on the TV remote for my panasonic tv, until the correct HMDI input is selected and I see "Sky Intro Channel on the Screen.

I cannot find the source key on the remote and the tv does not have one. Where is the source button located on my panasonic remote and how would you describe it as the sky instructions had a button with a forward arroww, which simply is not there!

Yours in desparation!!!!

Rupert Eales-White
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Do you have an AV button? That's usually the one found on most Panasonic TV remotes. That's usually the easiest way to switch your Panasonic to the correct AV input to watch Sky with.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay as I only picked up your message this morning. I turned on the tv after receiving your message re AV on tv remote to discover that the connection had been made, and the channel 998 message was on the screen but I was receiving no signal.

This may take some time - a day or two - to sort out and I will revert back to you if I may as soon as it has.

Rupert Eales-White

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
I think the KEY here is that the TV does not sound like it's the cause of your problem.

If you see Channel 998 displayed on the TV set. and you have a SKY box connected to it, then the Sky box is actually delivering it's signal to the TV. And that means the TV is properly set up to view Sky.

Now we just need to verify that's a correct assumption.

Menues....Guides...Sky supplies those to your TV set, so pushing any of the Guide or Menu buttons on the Sky box's remote should make them display on the TV set.

If they do....then we concentrate on the Sky box.

The first thing I would try is unplugging the Sky box for a good 5 minutes, just in case the Sky box is locked up and won't deliver picture and sound. Even seeing an OK Guide or Menu on the TV screen doesn't mean the Sky box is 100% OK. It means the Built in menu/guide are doing their job, but the Video processing could still be locked up.

Check your Sky Menu and TV Guide first.
Then unplug the Sky box's power cord for about 5 minutes so the unit completely powers down, making the computer inside it reload its software.

Then see if the TV gets picture and sound.

I wouldn't make any changes to the TV set at all.....if you saw Channel 998 apear on your TV screen, I'm sure your TV is set to the right Video input for Sky.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is not the tv, but the lack of signal and an engineer is coming to try to sort it out on Sunday. Thanks for your help

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that. Your Sky box or your dish/aerial just isn't working correctly.

If you did unplug the Skybox for 5 minutes, that normally clears out any lock ups within the box, so if you still have no signal...that's when you do need a Skybox engineer to replace the box or possibly part of the cable, or the LNA on the Dish.

Usually if you have a 2nd Skybox in your home, that can tell you if the box or the dish/aerial is the problem. If it's the dish/aerial....you'd have no picture on both boxes.