Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have purchased a Nikon D3100 camera and lens kit a few months

Customer Question

I have purchased a Nikon D3100 camera and lens kit a few months ago, took the battery out (brand new Nikon) and give it a charge 2.5 hours orange light flashing away fast I went back after 10 still flashing, removed battery and tried in camera it displayed 2 photos and died refused to switch again. I give it 3 hours approximately the next morning all showing fully charged. Question 1 does this battery sound faulty and 2 should it stay clicked in housing until I press it again to release as the only way it stays in is when I close the cover on it.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.

The Nikon D3100 battery is held in by the battery door.

If the camera will only take a few photos before the battery appears to die, then the following may be causing this:

1. A bad battery - try using a replacement battery and see if that improves the camera's performance.

2. A bad battery connection - try cleaning the battery contact terminals inside the camera to remove any dirt or corrosion that may be preventing a good connection.

3. Faulty charge detection circuitry - if the camera's charge detection circuitry is faulty, it will mistakenly think that the battery is faulty and automatically turn off.

Test the battery with a voltmeter after the camera turns off - if the voltage reading is normal (around 3.7V) then the camera has a fault and will need to be returned to Nikon for repair.