Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a Samsung UE37ES6300. is it possible to tune for freeview

Customer Question

I have a Samsung UE37ES6300. is it possible to tune for freeview and freesat and have them both available.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

It's kind of a challenge to get BOTH on the same input. And I think that's where you might be.

This is what I tell my customers.

First, most TV sets will receive Freeview using the Aerial connection.

Second...you need a FreeSat box, so why not use one of the Video connections for that, and just switch between TV input and FreeSat input.

That's the way it should be, and to be honest...I don't think your problem is a TUNING issue....it may be your Freesat is dead.

No channels at all on Freesat?

OR....are you attempting to scan both Freeview and Freesat channels into a FreeSat box?

If you're attempting to use External on your TV...you're telling me you have a Freesat on external, and get Freeview on the TV source.

Sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you, I'm assuming your TV and Freesat was working fine, and somehow you lost Freesat signals and you're trying to get them back.

This isn't a new setup situation, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

During auto tuning I am offered the option to search for channels on Air, Cable, Satellite and Free-sat, in any order I wish. Although I don't subscribe to Satellite TV I have a working Dish and Installation. I can tune in and receive good pictures from Freeview and Cable, and Freesat and Cable. To switch from one to the other I call up source from my remote and select either TV or Ext. Cable always appears when I click Ext. Freeview and Freesat always appear on the TV source.

My problem is that if I opt to search for the channels for Air(freeview) then for Freesat, the latter appears when I go to source and select TV. If I search for the channels for Freesat then Air(Freeview), Freeview apopears when I select TV as the source. What I would like is to have both Freeview and Freesat available to me and be able to switch between them at will.

How can I do this?

Den.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Oh that's challenging...it seems the equipment you set the Freeview and Freesat choices isn't allowing BOTH...

It's like it's designed for only one choice.

You stated --

I am offered the option to search for channels on Air, Cable, Satellite and Free-sat, in any order I wish.

Obviously if it can store ALL...it just lost that ability. Is this scanning you are doing on the TV set, OR are you scanning a Freeview/Freesat box's settings?

If it's the TV, and it worked fine before (that's important) then we know the TV tuner isn't storing both bands of signal.

But if this scan is being done with a freesat box's settings...we have to deal with that. And we would need the Brand name and Model number of the Freesat instead of the TV set.

Sorry it's taking some time here, but I really have to get a good understanding of Which unit is actually doing the channel scan. If it's the TV, then your TV remote is in your hand when you select auto-scan. The FreeSat box's remote is in your hand if you're scanning the Freesat box's tuner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am doing the scanning from the TV set. The manual says that "When Air or Cable is selected first: after all Air or Cable channels are stored the step for storing Satellite channels is displayed". This does happen but there seems little point in offering this if Air and Satellite are not available afterwards.

I have had no trouble in having Air and Cable available after channel selection. However this is the first time I have tried to have Air and Satellite available to me.

Den

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, this is important --

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Did Samsung provide you with only ONE Aerial connector or did they provide you with TWO aerial connectors, one for Satellite and one for Cable/Air reception?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There were no aerial connectors. Everything is built in to the TV. All I have to do is plug the connectors I had into the appropriate places on the TV. As I have said, I have no difficulty with receiving:

1 air, cable or satellite;

2 air and cable;

3 satellite and cable

All I have to do is to use my remote to select the source i.e. tv or ext. My difficulty is in setting up to be able to choose between air and satellite.

Den

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

If you cannot get the freeview and freesat channels to store at the same time, it has to be a firmware issue. I don't see any firmware upgrades to resolve this. At this point in time, contacting Samsung directly may be the only way to resolve the fact that you can't get both to store, or you can't get both to display.

I see no solution to your issue, so I will opt out and perhaps another Technician may know of a solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for trying. However I assume that in the absence of progress their will no charge. Perhaps you can confirm this please.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

If there is no solution to getting BOTH Freeview and Freesat stored in your TV set....and if Samsung states you can store both....then there has to be a hardware or software based failure of the main board.

I don't see any firmware updates on your model. And I don't see anyone complaining about not being able to get Freesat and Freeview channels at the same time.

At this point...I recommend another Expert review your issue. If he cannot resolve it, he will forward you to customer service where you can request a refund.

Right now, I'm just not confident that Samsung intended on one RF Connection being able to power up a Freesat dish and also receive Local TV channels with an outdoor aerial at the same time.

I think only Samsung can verify that is possible.