Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

my samsung screen shows a wavy many coloured line down right

Customer Question

my samsung screen shows a wavy many coloured line down right hand side about 2" wide come on aboutn30 seconds after turning tv on
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

What is your TV's model number? Does it start with LE or PS?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

le40a456c2dxxu

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

le 40a 456c2dxxu

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I doubt your TV menu extends itself to the right side of your TV screen, but it's possible the volume bar on the TV does appear right where this band is. Activate your volume bar, see if the problem covers the bar or if the bar appears normal but the band you see is showing up behind the volume bar. Let's see what part of your TV set has the actual failure creating that band.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I do this

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry tired last night but looking at tv lines are not constant and looking at tv it is left hand side to avoid any doubts

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, the left hand side of the tv has the lines, so you should be able to press either the volume or menu button found on the TV set itself, or on the remote control that came with the TV set. Those displays should appear when pressed, and then you'll either see the lines laying on top of those added on displays or you'll find it shows up behind the volume or menu. Some Samsung menues are see-through or transparent, but other parts are solid. You want to use the solid parts of the menu for testing it.

I think I have an example picture of what I'm talking about.

graphic

In that picture, the lowest layer is the actual picture itself. The menu is the Highest layer of picture signal. The lines that I added to that picture on the left is even higher than the menu. Sometimes you find them on top of the menu, other times you find the menu blocks the lines. The menu you see also shows the Solid part of the menu on the extreme left, with the transparent part of the menu showing the picture, but the picture is darker, and way on the right side is the picture without the menu laid on top.

A TV picture is constructed very much like a sandwich -- Picture is the bottom layer, Menu is supposed to be the Top layer, but the lines can be added on top of the menu or under the menu. That part is the important part. Where are the lines on your TV found?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all the menus appear transparent and someone else said it is the screen and it can not be repaired which is a blow as it is only a couple of years old

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

any chance of a response?please

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had an appointment /customer that needed to be taken care of.

So someone claims it's the Panel that's faulty. I would say that if the lines are on top of the menu, and not underneath the menu. Is that what you see on your TV? The translucent menu would darken the lines if they are underneath the menu. If on top, the brightness of the lines would not change.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the line are on the left of the screen and the menu is in the middle so does not reach the line which are vertical

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a digital camera or a cell phone camera?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I will photo it tonight and send you if possible

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, last night I was thinking about your issue trying to figure out a way to verify that the problem was past the menu, thus isolating the issue.

There's a service menu in your TV set that is a very very good option of displaying a full test pattern on the screen, but I ran into a problem with the DETAILS of your service menu.

On plasmas...if you access the service menu's main screen, there are one or two "sections" that should have a "pattern" section that you can highlight, then use the menu's right arrow button to advance through several different patterns. One of those patterns would tell us --

A] The problem is in the video board

B] The problem is in the Plasma panel

That's the whole point of this. Either it's fixable or it's too expensive to fix.

LE40A456 c2dxxu

I've looked at a couple "A series" models to see if any of them had good instructions on how to show you WHERE in the menu the Test patterns are.

Samsung is pretty consistent with their location and there's really on two types of service menus they created.

In the OLD DAYS of HDTV...they had a fully unlocked service menu, and in the Later days they locked part of the menu, and in the most Recent models (maybe 2009?) They put some of these adjustments in the customer menu so customers wouldn't access the service menu anymore.

I don't know the exact dates....but I think you may own one of the "middle ages" TV.

There was a code for 0000 accessibility, but when you LOOK at the service menu, you usually see some settings GRAYED OUT when first accessed.

And that's the KEY.

So.....turn your TV off. Follow these Visual instructions to gain access. Read all of it first, It should only be 3 pictures merged together. You only have to access 3 levels of the menu for test patterns. and the FBE and PDP menues should have them.

PDP is the preferred test patterns.

Is the lines seen on top of those patterns??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorrry does not work