Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Brother KH904 I decided now I had retired I would

Customer Question

I have a Brother KH904 I decided now I had retired I would start and use it again as I made hundreds of items before my work took over my life. So this morning I cleaned it throughly.

I was checking that I could remember what to do, but before I started I had electrical flash on the right end. Smoke ++.Then it went away. Next I notices that the lamp battery container got very very hot.

Lastly I tried to cast on using the wrap over casting, but it would not knit the stitches it just wrapped the wool around the post. So I checked it was set up correctly. Then tried again but could not succeed this basic task.

So have the machine died?

Susan
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I must admit that I cannot find your machine's model number in listings of Brother-made devices available to me - but it sounds like a sewing or serging or embroidery machine.

I must admit that the electric flash and smoke sound quite ominous and not indicative of a favorable outcome... but please inform me what the model number off the manufacturer's label (usually found on the back side or the underside of most devices) is. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is definitely a Brother and the model id KH904.

Susan

Since I can find no reference nor information about that model number, please inform me whether it is a sewing, serging, or embroidering machine (or if it is some other type), please.

I suspect that the 'KH904' is actually a serial number, if it is not specifically indicated to be a model number. It is definitely not found as a model number in several searches including Brother USA, Brother UK, and the general internet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is definity a kniting machine which has a key pad to change patterns.

Susan

Thank you Susan, for your response and for having patience with my questions.

I have identified the KH 904, a model made for the UK market I think, thanks to your providing information.

Your description of the electric flash and smoke followed by malfunction, indicates to me that your machine is, if not 'broken', at any rate quick 'sick'. If it has been disused for a considerable period, it may be 'broken', or it may just need some remedial maintenance.

If you would like to see about getting an evaluation - at least - on how much it would cost you to have it repaired, I advise that you locate a Brother service center near you that might be able to evaluate and repair the machine.
http://www.brothersewing.co.uk/en/dealer-locator
- when you have brought up that page (the link ought to open automatically when clicked upon, in a new window), click once on the checkbox for 'Embroidery Machines' and perhaps also for 'Repair Acceptance', though I'd advise leaving that box unchecked the first time you search.... and enter your zip code or postal code in the appropriate space on the form, and click on Search.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.