Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Hi - I have a UE46ES5500k TV which turning itself off a sort

Customer Question

Hi - I have a UE46ES5500k TV which turning itself off a sort while ago?
I have done all the usually power checks and the umit is recieving power as the standby light is flashing (10 times then pausing on for few seconds then repeating the ten flashes)
There is no picture or sound and the tV won't turn on either by the remote or the joystick button.
The official website suggests this is a software update, but as I have disconnected power a couple of times this would have interrupted the process?
What can I do to get the TV to turn on again or is it a more technical solution?

Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Firmware update --

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE46ES5500KXXU-downloads?isManualDownload=true

T-MST10PDEUC-1037.0

1037 is the VERSION, and you actually have to get the TV to turn on before you can update it.

You're not getting that far. So it is more technical. The first thing we do is unplug the power cord for 20 minutes. Energy Saver TV sets take that long to reset.

Then we darken the room. Plug in the TV and see if the main power button on the TV set can be pressed, and the TV's power lamp actually respond to the button, and we STARE at the TV screen from the moment it powers on. We LOOK to see if the TV screen stays pitch black, or if the screen "gently lights up gray" and stays that way, or goes black again within 5 - 10 seconds of it lighting up.

That tells us where to start.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi TV Tech1

Left TV unplugged for 1 hour, plugged it back in and switched on at socket.

Absolutely no change in screen remained pitch black, yet standby light blinking.

No change in screen or standby light (blink rate) when power button pressed on TV or remote.

Any thoughts?

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Well, it looks like the issue is going to be related to the fact the Lamps aren't turning on, and that means the Picture and sound circuits won't start up since the lamps haven't passed the OK signal back to the TV's microprocessor.

So the micro could be dead, not turning on the lamps, or the lamps aren't lighting up and sending the OK signal back to the micro to advance to the Picture/sound enable level.

The fact that the TV won't turn on with the remote or the power button does seem to isolate it to the TV's main board. That is one reason why I'm going over that part of the symptoms with a "fine toothed comb" If the micro can't respond to you telling it to turn ON or OFF....and the lamps can't light....it really points to the micro/main board being faulty.

Would you agree with me that you cannot turn the TV on and off? On and off have the highest priority in the micro's command structure, and totally overrides any and all commands sent to it.

The only other command that overrides even the Power on/off command is if you started to download a firmware upgrade and it hasn't finished downloading.

So obviously, I would make sure that a firmware update wasn't being performed at any time previous to this issue appearing. Did your TV display any "updating" display just before it started acting up?

If not...then we have to replace the main board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

I wasn't actually watching the TV when it went off, but my daughter tells me that there where no messages displayed on screen or any other changes to the picture/sound at the time - the screen simply went black!

I guess the main board is terminal!

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

I guess the main board is terminal!

screen remained pitch black, yet standby light blinking.

That part of the scenario is where the issue and its source of failure comes into question.

If the standby light is blinking, we know the micro is making the standby light blink.

We do not know if the micro is sending the "backlight on command" to the backlight board. It's a simple 5 volt or 3.3 volt ON command to turn on the backlight which is another name for the UE46ES5500k lamp on command. It's printed on the Power supply board as BL-ON or BLON. PS-ON is another ON command, that powers up the REST of the Power supply.

BOTH come from the MAIN board's MICRO.

On newer TVS like yours....you unplug the cable that connects the Main board to the Power supply board, and you see the TV's Lamps light up.

Ok the entire series of TV sets are in one manual, from 32 to 55 inch TVs. Basic disassembly is shown in the first 3 pictures, the last one is showing you the cable you unplug and then plug the power cord into the wall.

graphicgraphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies for not responding sooner - many reasons but no excuse!

many thanks for your assistance unfortunately I was unable to resolve the issue and ended up sending the TV back to the manufacturer for repair - apparently a new screen is required and I am awaiting the quote!

Best regards

Andy

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

That's expensive if the lamps in the LCD display panel are damaged and not allowing the lamps to light up and send their OK signal back to the main board. I hope they can simply be replaced by the manufacturer instead of replacing the whole LCD panel. I do hope the manufacturer covers it under their warranty.