*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ19. When turned on the screen

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ19.
When turned on the screen reads - System Error (Focus) & the lens will not retract - any suggestions?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 4 years ago.

Hi Keith,

My name isXXXXX am sorry to hear that happened. I will do my best to help you with your Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ19. Try this please. Remove the battery for 1 minute, then reinstall the battery, Then reset the camera >>>

1. Set the mode dial to P.
2. Press the menu/set button.
3. Select the setup option.
4. Scroll through the setup listings until you get to 'reset'.
5. Select the reset option to reset your camera.

Once the camera has reset, you will need to turn it off and back on again. You will then be prompted to set the date and time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi have done as you suggested:

Took battery out for 2 minutes.

Re-installed battery.

Set mode dial to P.

However when the menu/set button is pressed it makes no difference as the message screen still reads system error (focus) .

The lens is in the extended position all the time - even when turned off & only retracts momentarily when switched on.

When turning the camera on - none of the other controls have any affect as the screen returns to system error etc, and once this is on screen - nothing else I press is actioned by the camera.

I am sorry about that, what is the approximate purchase date?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it was just over 2 years ago.

okay, thank you. Unfortunately the reset is the only firmware related option to try. The next step will be to test the hardware, this is most likely due to an AutoFocus motor failure.<>PLEASE CLICK HERE TO LOCATE THE NEAREST PANASONIC SERVICE REPAIR CENTER<>