Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Please can you advise simply! How I switch off AD mode on my

Customer Question

Please can you advise simply! How I switch off AD mode on my freesat Panasonic tv. I cannot work out to use the TV remote or the freesat remote. The assistive description is driving me mad. Thanks Anne
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Is there any chance you can get the TV's model number? Usually on Panasonic, they have a sticker mounted on the right edge if it's a plasma or LCD model, and all models have a second sticker where it's applied to the rear cover in the center or the right side.

Also, is there any chance you are using a Cable or Satellite box with that TV set? If so, some boxes do have AD capability and are turned on/off using their remote.

If you do have a box, and noticed the problem appeared when using its remote, I would check that remote to see if it could be your problem. Also note that if your TV is set to a video input like HDMI, Component, or Scart inputs that AD most likely is built into the Cable/Sat box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. The model no. Is L26X208 Pmasonice Viera TV. Iti s attached to a goodman freesat box and randomly made a click one day and now I have audio description for everything. If is is the freesat remote i Ihave clicked and held the mute button to no avail. I have clicked the audio button which offers me nos. to input. The Panasonic guide talks about settings but I can't see where these are on a remote which I only use for volume control. Pls help if you can. Apols if I am seeming v dense. Many thanks Anne
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, there's a KEY point here--

First, if you do have a freesat box, there may be an Audio Description button on it that turns off AD from any TV channels you're watching on it.

For Local TV stations not using the Freesat box, the TV's tuner has Audio Description for that. If you are pressing the channel up /down button on the Panasonic remote control, then this picture shows you the steps to get into the TV menu, go to the Sound page, select Audio description on page 2 of the Sound menu (you just keep arrowing down until you highlight Audio description, then you can turn it off.

See picture --

Now, turning that off will stop AD from running on LOCAL TV CHANNELS, but it may not stop FREESAT CHANNELS from delivering AD.

To fix that issue, we would need your Brand name and model number of your FREESAT box so we can turn off AD on the box too. Both should be on the front faceplate of the box.