Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

My garmin nuvi 1340 is taking 20 minutes or more to find maps.

Customer Question

My garmin nuvi 1340 is taking 20 minutes or more to find maps. As I also need to update UK and European maps[ having last done it in 2012] Does this mean the battery is wearing out and if so would your advice be to abandon my present machine as uneconomical? The serial number is XXXXX
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

The behavior of the unit helps to isolate the issue. If you run the 1340 all by itself, does the screen disappear during bootup, and you have to restart it? Usually you'll see a flashing battery indicator if the battery is bad.

The second possibility is the GPS operating system is corrupted and it only partially loads and freezes or stalls causing the GPS to take 20 minutes to fully load.

Now, if it loads fast, but you can't access the maps, or the maps don't display, but you have access to other buttons, the operating system is ok, but the maps or the satellite reception is affecting the operation of the GPS.

Now if the GPS does work fine all by itself, then we have to question the connection of the GPS to its updating software you have on your computer. The battery does come into question at this point in time, because if it works fine after plugging the unit into the computer, but works and shuts off when the GPS is not connected, the ability of the battery to store a charge is in question.

The behavior of the GPS by itself...and after it's connected to the computer for updating are crucial questions, as is the list of behaviors before connecting it to the computer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When the 1340 runs by itself, on rebooting,the screen disappears and I have to restart it. There is no flashing light.It sounds as though the GPS operating system partially loads and freezes. It does not load fast.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

You use myGarmin connect on your computer? It usually allows you to store the original operating system along with a download of your present maps.

Now, I doubt the maps are involved, but the operating system had to be corrupted due to a loss of power or a bad connection, possibly due to an update to the operating system. When that happens, you do want to have a backup on your computer. Other models do have an SD card with the operating system on it....but that's usually older models.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Now hopefully Garmin express will just scan and correct the operating system, but that also means that your GPS must have the ability to connect to the computer.

That's the part I fear the most....the inability of your GPS to boot up far enough to connect to Garmin Connect.

There is likely a work around if it doesn't. But that would require contacting Garmin directly, talking to them about your model number, possibly downloading the original operating system to your computer via email, then transferring it to the GPS to restore operations.

I've had to do that once on my GPS, and if I remember, I had to have the serial number on the GPS.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I contacted Garmin as you suggested and they quoted £60 to look at my device, which probably if I have to buy a new one for £100 makes it unviable. This was the reason i asked for your advice in the first place

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I understand. I was certainly expecting them to send you the operating system files to restore them so you can transfer them back onto your GPS, but it looks like they're saying they have to restore them instead. No access to the OS without removing the case and exchanging an EEprom in it. I certainly prefer the SD cards over the built in memory for that very reason.

However....your statement here --

My garmin nuvi 1340 is taking 20 minutes or more to find maps

When the 1340 runs by itself, on rebooting,the screen disappears and I have to restart it. There is no flashing light.It sounds as though the GPS operating system partially loads and freezes. It does not load fast

But can you GET to a point in time that it loads, and you can connect it to Garmin Express and load one of your Backup files?

That is what I was initially hoping you could do with your GPS. Reload the operating system without having to send it to Garmin.

Personally, I don't trust the Garmin customer service or any other helpline because they read from a book of answers and follow the corporate procedures. If the engineers were smart, they had to download the operating system to backup files.

They had to have a Restore to Factory setting to clear out any corrupted files.

But you checked that, and you could never get your GPS to recover long enough to get it to connect to Garmin Express and reload the OS. Correct?

Before I buy a new unit....I'd want to try my best to access the Backup files.