Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We have a Sony HiFi/CD player. It has stopped detecting CDs

Customer Question

We have a Sony HiFi/CD player.
It has stopped detecting CDs when they are presented.
Any ideas?
J.Lane.
Hove.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Shahid, I'll be happy to assist you.
I'm sorry you are having trouble with player.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Can you please get the model number written on unit?
- How old is it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just a mo.

Just checked the model

It is: LBT-XB20.

Purchased in about 1997.

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 years ago.
Thanks John for the reply.

Since unit doesn't detect the disc that means either optical laser block isn't working at all because of laser diode failure or flexible ribbon wire from optical block to processor circuit board is broken and that happens due to aging and replacement of optical laser block or flexible ribbon wire would resolve the problem.
Required optical block number is KSM-213B and available in ebay, please check following link for price info..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SONY-LASER-PICKUP-model-KSS-213B-/360315931082

Unit will take apart in details for optical block replacement and this type of work should be done by handy person to avoid any damage, you can expect $100 or so as labor from local repair shop.

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and bad part replacement would resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.