Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a new Lumix tz10. T

Customer Question

I have a new Lumix tz10. The battery is fully charged and the camera will take photographs and store them on the internal memory. However, after putting in an SD card i get a warning beep and a message on the screen saying INSERT SD CARD AGAIN. I've now tried this several times with different SD cards, but still get the same message. Neither is it possible to use the menu button to make any changes.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

You stated

the camera will take photographs and store them on the internal memory

I had the same problem as you did with my camera. My SD card died on me, and I took some pictures that got stored in the internal memory.

Then I got a new SD card, formatted it, slipped it into the camera and took some more pictures. Unfortunately what I found out was that the camera didn't transfer the memory over to the SD card. In fact, it kept writing to the internal memory. I could see the pictures on the camera, but I couldn't transfer them to my computer, and the SD card wouldn't store any pictures at all.

It's got to be a design limitation on a lot of camera models including yours.

What did I have to do? I didn't have a mini to USB cable to see if I could transfer the camera's memory to my computer, I had been using the SD card for transfers.

But I knew I had to clear the pictures off the camera, then install and format the new SD card, and then the camera would place the pictures on the SD card instead of the internal memory.

So I sacrificed the pictures on the camera and deleted them first. Then I connected the SD card and did the format, and now it all works just like it did before.

I don't think you can get past having to delete the pictures on the internal memory.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, however, it does not address the fault. The problem is not transferring pictures from the internal memory to an SD card. The internal memory of the camera has a very limited capacity to store photographs (only 2 pictures). Therefore is it necessary to use the SD card, but none of the several SD cards I have tried work nor is it possible to get beyond the INSERT SD CARD AGAIN message by using the menu button or any other controls. Therefore, the camera is rendered useless.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

This is important....did you ERASE the pictures on the camera....then install your SD card, format it, then take a picture or two to see if the camera now stores the pictures on the SD card??

Mine kept storing pictures, but it was on the camera memory. It seems that once the camera stores one picture in the camera memory, it will totally ignore the fact that you just installed an SD card.

For some reason it commits itself to one storage point or the other...but not both.

That's why you have to erase the pictures in the camera memory, then turn it off, install the SD card, then let it format the card. Otherwise it can't or won't recognize that you have the SD card installed and start using that for pictures.

It WON'T transfer pictures from one memory to the other. I tried that on mine. It didn't work. You have to remove those pictures on the camera.

With the SD card removed, and the pictures on the camera memory displayed, can you delete those pictures?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I erased the pictures on the internal memory and then put in the SD card. The point is there is no way to format the SD card since, as explained previously, there is no way to get out of the error screen and the menu button doesn't work. Thanks

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that's odd...you do have menu operation if you don't insert the SD card, but you lose it the moment it recognizes you have inserted any SD card into the card slot?

You stated you inserted several SD cards, so I'm wondering if these cards are over 4GB and if they are SDXC or SDHC

If so, maybe they need to be formatted on your computer as FAT32 so your camera doesn't lock up using them.

graphic

I just can't see several cards all behaving the same way without a reason. And I'm really surprised by the fact you could erase the old images using the menu, then it locks up the moment an SD card is plugged in.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have now returned the camera for a full refund and so this matter is closed.