Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The picture on my Samsung LCD TV (LE32R87BD) is too bright

Customer Question

The picture on my Samsung LCD TV (LE32R87BD) is too bright with glaring effects. I have done a reset but still the same and the picture adjustments are not enough to fix it. Do you thing this is a software problem or a component failure?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Shahid, I'll be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Does menu screen show up normal if press menu button on TV or its remote?
- Can you please provide picture of TV screen that will help to diagnose the problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replied earlier. Any ideas?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric,

I'm sorry, I didn't get any reply but this one.
Can you please resend previous reply?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the menu does display. My impression is the glaring gets worse as the tv warms up. I have had the brightness and contract down at close to the minimum when it was first switched on and the picture was quite dark. I adjusted it a bit but it became too bright and glary after say 10 minutes. So from a cold start (not standby) it got worse.

I have taken pictures but could not attach or insert them into this form, which is looking for a web link not a file to attach...

Eric

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am quickly getting the impression that this service is not easy to use and is more about selling the service than delivering!

I have submitted two replies and neither has worked...the reply box is grayed out and you get a sales screen instead.

Last chance....

1) The menu does work and is displayed

2) I cannot attached a photo.

3) From a cold start (not standby) the picture is dark as I have set contract and brightness to low levels. As the TV warms up the picture becomes too bright and "blown and glary".

Regards, Eric

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric,

Sorry for delayed reply due to different time zone, I was away from computer, get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric,

You may please upload those picture files to any file sharing site and post the links here to download/ view them.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Eric for pictures.

- How old is the TV?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure but I think 3-5 years.

The set was bought by an elderly relative and it may have been subject to power cuts and reconnections while on standby.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately symptom shows internal circuitry failure of display panel (screen) and there is slight chance of bad T-Con board that is mounted on rear of display panel under metal shield.
Please check following image link where I outlined T-Con board location in TV and swapping T-Con board would tell us if it helped or not as there is no further check/ test to confirm it.

http://i5.minus.com/iEEJhkuifQIr5.jpg

If T-Con board replacement doesn't help then I'm sorry, display panel is bad and replacement would cost more than new TV of same size price so a new TV would be better choice instead of investing on this old unit.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shahid,

Thanks. I have taken the back off and will do a visual check of the T-Con board. The TV was probably made in late 2007 or early 2008.

Some more pics if they are of any interest...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42601114/IMG_3954.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42601114/IMG_3946.JPG

What is the function of the T-Con board?

Eric

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for pictures, parts on both boards seems fine.
Please check T-Con board but I don't think for any visual damage on it and as I explained t-con board swapping has little chances to help us out.
T-Con board is knowns as timing control board and its function is to slice the video data to send it to internal circuitry in display panel where that data goes to liquid crystal pixels to form an image.

Hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,

Shahid.