Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a 2004 Cyber-shot MPEGMOVIEVX Smart zoomDSC-P73 . The

I have a 2004 Cyber-shot MPEGMOVIEVX Smart zoomDSC-P73 . The Camera has completely frozen. The lens is stuck out but there is no activity whatsoever. The Red Eye light on the front of the Camera is permenantly on so the Batterys are obviously live.
Nothing I do will make the Camera work. Help
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. While holding down the power button push the lens towards one side. Do this on each side of the lens to see if you can get it to retract. If it is off center it will retract and should work normally after that. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did not work The power button is not lit up as there appears to be no power other than to the red eye light

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
The red light staying on means there is an internal error. The second thing to check would be for dust around the lens itself. Using a can of compressed air or something similar blow out the area around the lens. You can get a can of compressed air from any local computer or electronics shop for around $3.

I really hate to have to tell you this but unfortunately after doing that if the problem is still there I am sorry to say it is most likely a problem with the rubber runners that sit around the edges of the lens. These runners can be replaced but are not normally sold separately.

Any local camera, or electronics repair shop should be able to fix it but to do so they will replace the entire lens. The price of the part can vary depending on shop and whether or not they can find a generic replacement so I would call around. The labour cost would be about an hours worth the work at the shops rate. This rate is normally between $60 and $75 per hour anything more than that is to much.

Due to the price of the repair some people do decide to replace the camera as it can be cheaper. If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.