Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

When i keep changing channels on my TV in the bedroom it keeps

Customer Question

When i keep changing channels on my TV in the bedroom it keeps coming up service not running i have a picture but no sound,
The only way i can get everything back is either switch offf the tv and switch it back on, or i have to keep retuning as first time installation, surely it should not be like this all the time, i have checked all the conections everything okay my other TV's on the same Aerial are working fine, but this just seemed to have happened since we switched over to digital before it was okay.
Starting to get a bit of a bore having to do this all the time my wife starting to get fed up.surely it can't be the tv only had it 3 years.Have checked the manual and there is no mention of anything like this in the trouble shooting part.
Any help on this would be great.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

We would need to know your TV's brand name, and its model number.

Also if you do have a longer cable run to that TV or have other equipment using the aerial cable like a DVR recorder, it could be impeding the signal to the TV, making it harder for the TV to lock on the signal and separate the Audio signal from the Picture signal.

So we would need to know the difference between that TV and any other TVs in your home.

A first time installation should have completely scrubbed the memory, so any autoscan done after that should have renewed all the stations, locking in any audio information that may have changed. The fact that you have to turn off the TV and turn it back on restores audio....sounds like the data bus isn't recognizing the audio stream.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Tv is Hitachi 26" Model L26DPO4UE.

The approx cable run to this tv 18ft i do not have DVR recorder connected to this tv or my other TV in the Bedrooms,

My other two tv;s are LG, and Wharfdale.

Yes its just annoying as it seems to be okay for quite a while then comes on like this.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Your cable run is not long enough to affect the TV's signal strength, but 3 TVs splitting the signal power could be putting your signal level on the Hitachi right at the threshold of being a "weak" signal. Also, any splitter that splits the Main Aerial signal could have a bad connection where the Hitachi gets less signal than the LG or Wharfdale does.

What I would want to try next is this --

Can you remove ONE TV connection at your splitter if it's easy to access, and MOVE the Hitachi cable connection to that connection ? First, if you remove ONE connection, it sends MORE POWER to the Hitachi, and second, if you move the Hitachi cable to either the LG or Wharfdale connection on the splitter, then you're connecting it to one you KNOW has never caused you any problems.

I've seen splitter connectors go bad, and I've seen too many TVs on one aerial.

We need to verify if the Hitachi is bad, or if we have too many TVs or if the Hitachi splitter connector is creating an excessively low signal to it.

And with Digital TV signals, you can't see the picture change from good to Noisy like we could with the older analog signals. I have to suspect less signal is present than what we need to provide rock solid operation of your Hitachi.

And I suspect it because of what you stated --

its just annoying as it seems to be okay for quite a while then comes on like this.

That's usually a weak signal just on that threshold of good and bad signal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tv Tech 1

Sorry i have only two tv's on the same line, have had the tv on again before even trying to take off the connection going to the wharfdale and it is playing great picture and sound

tried switching over channels no problem at all but again for how long before it comes up like that again service not running.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Well, I really don't want to assume it's a problem with the Hitachi...the TV only delivers what is sent to it. That's why we really check the Aerial and anything connected to it first, before assuming the problem is IN the TV set.

L26DP04UE

CHS is the parts provider for Hitachi.

£63.86 is the cost of the part (incl Vat) that you would have to replace in your TV set.

That's assuming your signal is GOOD. Now you see why we check the signal thoroughly before calling the TV defective.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tech

Thanks for that information,

Will just keep trying as it is, and if it keeps coming again i can only assume what you say the tv could be at fault and that is the part needed.

Thanks again

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Replacing the board is a last resort. You have tested, reset and did a complete autoscan afterwards. If there was a "bad piece of data stored" in your TV set, it's been cleared out. And if that's correct, your problem would have stopped appearing.

Now...it seems the problem RARELY appears....that's why I figured it may be the signal, not the TV set.

But...you only have 2 out of 3 TV sets in use, AND connected. That's a lot different than ALL 3 sets connected.

Think about it -- One TV gets FULL power, 2 TVs get 1/2 power and 3 TV sets gets 1/3 power.

100% -- 50% -- 33%.

On a signal strength scale 33 % is a BAD signal, but 50% is probably good. An aerial should handle 2 TVs with no problem. But 3 or more....that's when you start thinking about adding a "distribution Amplifier" so all the TVs connected keep their signal at 90 - 100% signal level.

I never buy a part until I am confident the incoming signal is good at the problem TV

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help at the moment everything seems okay,

so touch wood lets hope it does not happen again.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
If it does act up....try disconnecting that 2nd TV's aerial cable connection. See if the problem TV now acts normally. It's a quick way to see if the TV or the Aerial is the true problem.