TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

Hi my Onkyo tx sr 606 keeps loosing video signal to the screen

Customer Question

Hi my Onkyo tx sr 606 keeps loosing video signal to the screen for about a minute, sometimes sound goes as well. Seems to happen less frequently after av receiver has been on for an hour or two. I've read that this can be fixed by replacing the capacitors on the HDMI board??
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Yes, you are correct. the capacitors get leaky and require replacement to get the picture and sound back.

This guy has some good visual details on his video, but the Plastic issue is not as important as he shows. Plus it can confuse you.

The KEY....the silkscreened /Painted part on the board is the same as the Painted top of the caps. Me, I like to take a permanent marker and mark the board where the painted cap mark is pointed to.

I heat the one side of the cap to melt the solder, and just lift the cap with a thin flatblade screwdriver a little, then go to the other side, lift it a little, go back to the other side, lift a little more, back and forth until one side separates, then the other lifts off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U

This second one is a little better...in fact I like his suggestion to use Blue Tack to hold the cap in place, and he does show how to "wrench" the caps off the board....I'm not keen on doing it that way....but it works for both of these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgDEtSug2o

Of course my soldering iron is a Weller with a sharp tip that can heat the pad to lift it off. Their equipment is a little bigger -- their "wrench off" procedure works for them.