Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a 48" wall mounted LED 7020 series tv.I am finding that

Customer Question

I have a 48" wall mounted LED 7020 series tv.I am finding that when watching a series i.e.CSI crime ,the clarity is not very good. I have very acute hearing generally, and if I go into the small study where there is a an older Panasonic set, I can hear much better.Some one has mentioned having speakers which would improve the clarity.As all the cables have been plastered in I do not want any cables to show from any speakers.Question 1 is there anything that can be done. When listening to news,sport, morning tv, the sound is perfect.Your comments would be appreciated
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

"when watching a series i.e.CSI crime" versus "listening to news,sport, morning tv, the sound is perfect" ....is one of those using a different input like maybe HDMI input and another the Component input, or possibly the Freeview channels versus HDMI from a cable or Satellite box?

The sound should stay the same, but the sound quality from a different source can affect it dramatically.

And news, sport and morning TV....those imply new, present day recordings over unknown TV shows from the '90s or 2000's. The technology was changing in the 2000s.

The dramatic sound quality change cannot be the TV... it has to be related to signal or the source of signal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we were previously with SKy but having recently moved we decided to go with B.T. Infinity,there has been no difference in the issue I have described. any additional thoughts and your view regarding speakers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Well, I was looking at possible differences in the signal, because some TV stations may be High Def and others low Def, especially if your CSI TV show and your " news,sport, morning tv" shows may be on different channels, even on BT Infinity.

My experience has been that when you notice a change in picture and sound, that we need to look at the possibility that maybe the BT channels for the CSI show may be a low def channel, or maybe the TV show itself is possibly an older TV show that was recorded in "the old analog days" of TV.

See....that makes sense to me. Especially when I consider News, Sports, and Morning shows to be recorded more recently on HD cameras.

But CSI shows...they've been around for quite some time now.

So my initial thought was to get an idea if the TV show may be older, or maybe the TV channel it's playing on is possibly a "standard definition" Transmitter instead of a "high definition" transmitter.

My own personal experience has been that networks seem to have ONE High Def channel, and the 2nd or 3rd channel they carry are SD or Standard Def.

And usually the picture and sound are a little less quality. The odd issue I see is " if I go into the small study where there is a an older Panasonic set" the sound is clearer on that.

An older TV that may be an analog TV...it can probably process sound better for older shows because it was built to handle that signal.

I do know that HD shows do sound better on HD TVs, and have heard the same TV have a lower volume, less high frequency response on analog signals, while older TVs seem to have better sound coming from analog shows.

So right now, I suspect the Panasonic speakers are doing a better job at producing sound, while the LED TV speakers are too small to handle analog.

The speaker size on older TVs are usually 4 times larger.

So, it could be the signal, it could be the older TV set is more efficient at producing good sound, or it could be the TV show is older.

You happen to know if your Panasonic is a high definition TV? If so, is it a plasma?

Is the morning, news, and sports shows being delivered by another BT box, and have you noticed if the box may be different looking than the box on your Samsung? Like one is black and the other silver ?

Also, when you look at your TV Guide....are some channels labeled with HD in the network name and other channels are missing the HD in the channel name?

I get both on mine, so it's something I like to check before considering a TV to be the cause of sound problems and picture quality problems.