Richard Hill
Richard Hill, Customer Service
Experience:  A good general knowledge of electronics, computers and telephony. I can usually get most things fixed.
14784508

I bought a reconditioned Samsung DVD VR 336 DVD and VCR Recorder

Customer Question

I bought a reconditioned Samsung DVD VR 336 DVD and VCR Recorder so that I can record some TV programmes and also transfer VHS to DVD. It recognises some recordable DVD-R and -RW discs but not others and will not recognise any DVD+ discs. Why would it be so selective? Thank you for any advice!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard Hill replied 3 years ago.

Pages 4/5 of this manual explain which discs will/will not work:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200604/20060415103112312_01010A-VR330-336-XEU-ENG-BM.pdf

It's quite in depth, but it does say:

- LD, CD-G, CD-I, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD+R and
DVD+RW discs should not be used in this product.

- Not all brands of discs will be compatible with this unit.

Sorry, it's not better news, but at least you know what should and shouldn't work.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had already read the manual and realise that DVD+ discs are not compatible. However I have tried several makes of DVD- discs and only the ones from Asda work but not always straight away, I have to keep reloading them. Also the last recording was faulty in playback and kept sticking. As I have had the recorder over 18 months now and it didn't cost very much I am thinking I would be better off investing in a more reliable model that will take any kind of disc. Are there any you could recommend (with VHS) that are not too expensive?

Many thanks!

Hi Gillian,

I've no personal experience of it, but Toshiba seem to be one of the few companies that have brought out a new VHS/DVD Recorder recently, the DVR20 and which is a reasonable price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-DVR20-Digital-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B003LO2RIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386082166&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd%2Fvhs+recorder#productDescription

If you want a HDD as well look at Panasonic (Amazon), although I'm not sure that they still make these.

All have some limitations on which DVDs can be recorded to or played - you can check the Toshiba's compatibility on pg 8/9 of this manual:

http://www.toshiba-om.net/DVD/PDF/English/Country_Specific/DVR20-English-Specific.pdf

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Hi Gillian,

Was my response helpful, or do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Yes, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX was helpful. I have purchased a Panasonic dmr-ex98 from Ebay. It was rather expensive but the Panasonic recorders had the best reviews. This one has a hard drive/VHS/DVD/freeview and will record on most DVD types so it will be much more useful. Am just annoyed that I have hardly been able to use the Samsung, which cost me £70 in April 2012 and is now redundant. Reselling would be problematic so my only option is to give it away on freecycle!

Many thanks for your help.

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

Glad this is now resolved for you and many thanks for the positive rating.

All the best,