Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

hi Ive got a samsung le32r74bd tv (bought in 2006). Ive

hi

I've got a samsung le32r74bd tv (bought in 2006). I've bought a sony blu-ray dvd player and have connected it using HDMI as instructed (there's a single hdmi/dvi cable in back of the tv). However, despite connection, i'm getting a blank screen (no messages). If you switch dvd player on/off you get the a screen with "Sony-blu ray" logo on , but it then flickers off and then nothing...
.
HDMI cable is a cheap one from Wilkinsons - not sure if that could be issue?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Can you please get the model number of Sony Bluray player and post it here?

This info will help me to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

it's the sony bdp s5100

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Colin for the reply.

Please disconnect HDMI cable from player, turn On BD player, take out disc from player and press and hold STOP button on player front panel for 15 seconds.

Now plug HDMI cable in player, turn TV On and check.
Do you get Sony logo screen in TV?
If yes, put a BD dic in player and press play, do you get playback picture now?

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

tried those steps - but nothing - as i mentioned the only time you get the 'sony' logo is when everything is connected and then you switch BD player off/on!

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Sony logo screen is important clue in this symptom which sends out on low resolution form BD player and when you play a disc, BD player goes to higher video resolution and your TV seems can't process that video signal thus you get blank screen so I suggested a procedure to reduce video output resolution in BD player.

Another possibility is that BD player itself isn't good and we can verify BD player playback output by connecting it in another LCD TV, if possible, that way we can verify that BD player is good.

Can you try BD player on another TV and did you try press and hold Stop button on player itself for 15 seconds?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

Procedure to reduce video output might be worth a go

1) Haven't got another LCD TV to test

2) Don't think it's bad BD player - as i tried a Samsung model a few weeks ago and that had same problem - i sent that back thinking it was the player, but getting dodgy player twice in a tow seems unlikely

3) Yes - held button down for 15 seconds+

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Colin,

I agree, two players would not give same issue.
I would recommend to get a good HDMI cable for a test to see if it is causing the problem.

Do you have another video device like PS3 etc to plug it in TV HDMI input as a test?

Do you get setup menu if press home button on BD player remote to adjust HDMI resolution?

If not, we need to connect BD player in another TV to reduce HDMI output resolution then connect it in this TV and check.

Please post back how it went.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

don't have another device to test HDMI, such as PS3

don't get set up menu if i press home button on remote

don't have another tv to connect to!

what is next step?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible to check this BD player on neighbors or friend's TV to go into setup menu for video resolution change?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really possible, no - could ask them in shop where i bought it if they could check this? can you specify resolution changes required? is it worth trying hdmi or is that a long shot?

ta

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
It would be nice if you could take the player in store where you can test HDMI cable that you have as well.

HDMI out resolution is an option in setup menu of this player and accessible when press home button then go to setup option and set player up to lowest video resolution then connect it in your TV and later you can set it to auto or 720 level.

There is another possible cause of this issue is unfinished initial setup that player needs when first time turned On and since TV isn't making good connection with this player that is why you don't get initial/ first time setup screen to complete it.

Please post back how the trip to shop worked for BD player setup, if possible, ask them for BD player that has RCA video output terminals along with HDMI out just in case if TV HDMI input circuit has some problem then can use yellow or green-red-blue video input to watch BD playback.

Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech