Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have an old sony Video 8model EV-A300UB. There is a fault

Customer Question

I have an old sony Video 8model EV-A300UB. There is a fault with the cassette, it continually ejects. What is the cause of this fault?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
If the tape is continally ejected, then there is likley a fault with part of the mechanism.
Some troubleshooting will be required to fix this fault.
If you have some experience in mechanical repairs, you can attempt to diagnose and fix the cause of the problem yourself.
First, unplug the VCR and remove the top cover.
Insert a cassette slowly, until it catches on the cassette loading roller mechanism.
If the roller does not rotate correctly, adjust it until it no longer sticks.
If that does not help, have a look around inside the load mechanism for any other sticking parts or jammed belts.
If all looks good, try cleaning the sensor inside the VCR that detects when a tape is loaded - if it is covered in dust, it will not be able to detect a valid tape and will auto-eject.

Let me know if the above helps, or if you need further assistance.

Pete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to be so long getting back to you-it's been a bit hectic down here-

I have tried your suggestions-

Checked the belts, mechanisms, removed all dust etc. They all look to be in order. I assume the sensor is a small pink device that fits into a recess inside the cassette when it is inserted into the machine, this is free of dirt & dust.

More Detail-

When I switch the power on for the first time, there are two whirring sounds.

There is a slight delay between these whirring sounds- if I push the cassette into the machine at this point- the cassette stays in place for about 2 seconds then ejects with the second whirring sound.

If I push the cassette into the machine after this point It will not hold inside the machine. But it doesn't try to eject , it just wont hold in the machine, if you know what I mean, what may be the possible causes & solutions for this please?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
If the whirring sound is louder than what you would normally hear, then the motors may need some oil to help them spin better.
Try applying some light spray oil and let me know if that helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The whirring sound is normal as far as I can tell- but have turned the motors - & put a few drops of oil into the motor bearings- they are running freely - the problem still exists exactly the same.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Can you see at what point the tape auto-ejects?

If you can find out which part of the mechanism is causing it to eject, it may just need adjusting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After switching the power on -& after the two motor (whirring sounds) - the cassette door will not remain shut either with or without a cassette inside.

It is not ejecting the cassette - the cassette door will not remain shut- do you understand the difference?

However- if I insert the cassette during or after the first whirring sound & before the second whirring sound the cassette door remains shut for about 2 seconds-it then ejects the cassette & then the cassette door will not remain shut every time I attempt to shut the door.

What may be the causes & solutions of this?

How can I tell if part of the mechanism needs adjusting & how are they adjusted?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I understand the difference, however your question originally said "it continually ejects", so this has thrown me off a little.

So, the mechanism 'thinks' that the tape has not fully loaded, and is trying to eject it again by opening the door, but it does not actually eject, correct?

A trained technician can view the mechanism operating and decide which part needs adjusting - this will be difficult for you if you are not used to observing and tweaking the eject mechanism in a VCR.

It may be as simple as an overstretched spring that needs replacing, a missing or broken spring, or some other damaged part of the mechanism. The only way to tell is by observing the action and if possible comparing it to a similar product.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry my description has thrown you off, perhaps it would be more accurate to say "the result of inserting the cassette- is that the cassette door continually opens, or will not remain shut -without any mechanism activating".

In answer to your question -

"So, the mechanism 'thinks' that the tape has not fully loaded, and is trying to eject it again by opening the door, but it does not actually eject, correct?" Partly correct-

I don't know what the mechanism "thinks", but all I can say is that the result of inserting the cassette is that the door immediately opens when my finger pressure is released from the door.

The exception to this however is- if I insert the cassette during or after the first whirring sound & before the second whirring sound the cassette door remains shut for about 2 seconds-it then ejects the cassette- this is the only time the eject mechanism works.( I assume the 2nd whirring sound is the eject mechanism activating)

During this time the two pins that slide & carry the tape onto the play head do not move. I am assuming this is what you call "load"- so the tape is not loading.

I appreciate your point " a trained technician can view the mechanism operating and decide which part needs adjusting - this will be difficult for you if you are not used to observing and tweaking the eject mechanism in a VCR".

This is why I am paying for expert advice-if you feel you are unable to help me find a solution just let me know.

Unfortunately I do not have a similar product to compare mechanisms.

What do all these clues mean? & How can the solution be found?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Without actually seeing what is happening, it is difficult for me to pinpoint the cause of the problem.
If you could take a close-up video recording of the VCR's actions and upload it to www.wikisend.com I can take a look at it and advise further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay-I had to get a friend to video the mechanism, then e-mail them to me.

Now I am having problems uploading the video's onto wikisend, after the upload -the screen goes blank on me , & shows "download/900120" in the address bar - can I send you them via e-mail?

there are two videos- marked -

"just answer for Pete 2 (1)"

And

"just answer for Pete 2 (2)" is it possible you can see them on wikisend?

If you can't see them, can I send you them via e-mail?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you can send me the wikisend links and I can view the videos there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just sent the e mail with two videos to [email protected], I hope this helps you, looking forward to the help you can provide. Mike.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sent the videos via e mail looking forward to your thoughts. Mike

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok will have a look...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great look forward to hearing from you, Mike.