Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have problems using a Samsung UE40F8000 as a display for

Customer Question

I have problems using a Samsung UE40F8000 as a display for a mac mini when connected through the HDMI port (via a mini DVI-HDMI converter). Message is "no input signal". Using a standard monitor the mac displays normally using the same cable arrangement, and it did work on the TV previously. Updated the operating system to latest version and then it was fine, but after switching off the mac and re-starting the problem is back. It therefore appears the problem is with the TV and is related to using it a second time. Can't find any display setting controls on TV that seem relevant.Any suggestions appreciated.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

The Samsung UE40F8000 has different input ports for HDMI-HDMI and HDMI-DVI.

Which port are you using?

Try using a different HDMI input port on the TV and let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I started out with the HDMI-DVI port (No 2) and later tried each of the other 3 with the same results. If the mac is switched off the message is "no cable connected" and once on it changes to "no signal". After updating the mac OS it worked fine in both port 2 (HDMI-DVI) and port 4 (HDMI-MHL) until the mac was switched off. After re-start then it was not detected. This is what originally happened when we acquired the TV about 3 months ago - worked without problem until the mac was switched off, then was never detected after re-start. But it does happily display on other monitors using exactly the same cables.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional info.

This problem may be due to the resolution settings on the Mac - if they are set too high for the TV, it will not detect the signal correctly.

Try lowering the resolution and see if that helps make the Mac compatible with the TV.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay - out for a while. A bit tricky as the new OS assumes the mac will automatically detect and adjust to the setting of the connected display. We've tried force changing the resolution to 1280X1024 when connected to another display then switching the cable back to the TV, but it's not had any impact.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Ok, then the next step is to check the refresh rate setting on the TV.

Can you let me know what it is set to?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Recent PS answers this: we've tried both 50 and 60Hz.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Out of interest, have you tried connecting the Mac to any other TVs? (not monitors)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, connected to two different Panasonic TVs which both work without problem. Not sure if you received my earlier PS or not. To repeat that: we connected a DELL ST2310 monitor using the same cable set, reset resolution to 720 and refresh to 50 which were both done, then used a second mac via remote desktop to monitor the display parameters window on the mac mini - it was showing ST2310 as the display. Switched the cable to the Samsung TV and it changed to "unknown device" while the Samsung screen reported "no input signal".

The problem seems to be that while on first connection the TV displays correctly, if the mac is re-started they no longer talk to each other. Updating the OS appears to have re-set the connection but a re-start killed it again.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

The earlier PS didn't seem to come through - thanks for repeating it!

TVs work slightly differently from monitors, and can be more difficult to set up.

The DELL ST2310 is optimised for displaying a computer input, so should have no difficulty displaying the Mac Mini.

Do you have another TV (with a TV tuner in it) that you can try connecting to via HDMI?

This will help determine if the problem is specific to the Samsung TV, or to some settings on the Mac Mini.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, as mentioned above I've tried it with two different Panasonic TVs and it displays without problems. One of these was the one replaced by the new Samsung and had previously worked with the mac for 4 years, and the other a more recent one not previously connected to the mac.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Can you hear any sound from the Mac Mini through the TV's speakers?

If you can, then this confirms that the HDCP protocols are working and the device is connected ok, but the settings on the TV are not allowing it to be displayed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Take me about an hour to set up to check that, but I'm not sure the mini-DV output on the mac transmits sound - we normally play that through the sound output jack and separate speakers.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

You are of course correct, John - the mini-DV port only supports video...

The problem definitely appears related to the TV, but I think you have already been through all of the necessary settings.

All I can suggest now is a reset by powering off the TV and unplugging it for 1 hour to see if that helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I tried that overnight but no effect. We're going to get an alternate cable for the other video outlet from the mac and see if that works.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Ok, make sure it is a good quality cable, and at least HDMI 1.4 compatible, as sometimes the cheaper HDMI cables just don't work for no apparent reason...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, we seem to have now sorted the problem. Firstly it appears to be a mac-Samsung compatibility issue as the TV worked as a display for PCs but would not for the Macs we tried - mini through the mini-DVI output and MacBook through a direct HDMI connection. In all cases neither end recognised the other was there. Moreover it appeared to be triggered only by a re-connection since on initial use all was fine until a mac re-start.

The solution has been to repeat a full setup, from behind the password wall, of the TV. The display is now fine and has survived two soft re-starts, a hard re-start, and a physical disconnection. So it appears to be a software-based problem within one of the devices that happily has a workaround - although I'm not sure why it does work..

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

Glad to hear all is well again!

Thanks for letting me know.

Happy new year to you and yours,

Best,

Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?

Let me know,

Pete.