Richard Hill
Richard Hill, Customer Service
Experience:  A good general knowledge of electronics, computers and telephony. I can usually get most things fixed.
14784508

Incompatible TV System set up

Customer Question

I have two DVDs connected to my Panasonic TV. One is a Panasonic DMR-EZ45VEBs the other DMR-EX83EB. Both work perfectly well for recording TV programmes etc. My hobby is producing  DVD's via Roxio NXT. These play perfectly well on the EZ45 but not on the EX83 I get the message "Incompatible TV System Set up." Why is one playing my home made DVD's OK and not the other. I do not want to fiddle with the TV Settings unnecessarily as I might upset the one machine I can play back on. How do I resolve this. Bill

Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard Hill replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill,

Do you know the what format Roxio NXT is using, e.g PAL, NTSC, etc ?

I'm aware there can be issues with playing NTSC DVDs, particularly whilst recording something else, whereas PAL one's don't seem to suffer with this problem.

Best Regards,

Hi Bill,

You could try changing the TV system Setting (PAL or NTSC) on the DMR-EX83EB:

Function Menu > Others > Setup > Connection > TV System

You may need to change this depending on the format of the recordings.

Best Regards,

Hi Bill,

Was my reply helpful or can I be of any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Richard.

My Roxio NXT Converts the Video to AV1. This plays on the one video OK plus other video machines of friends etc. I have not as yet tried to change the settings on the DMR EX83 as I do want to mess up the machine entirely and not get it back the way it was. The message reads "Incompatible TV System Set up" which would indicate that what you say may be correct.

I will try what you say and get back with a result one way or another.

Bill

Thanks for the update Bill.

All the best,

Hi Bill,

Did that help or can I be of any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Have tried it and there is no change. The settings on the DMR 83 are the same as the EZ45.

The EZ45 is connected via Scart and DMR 83 via HDMI. Is there a possible conflict here.

Bill

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Any chance of an update re my message of the 10th January.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

It would certainly be worth swapping them over an seeing if the problem follows the units or not.

What type of DVDs are you recording onto?

Have they been finalised or have a top menu?

Do ordinary shop bought DVDs play OK on the DMR 83?

Best Regards,

Hi Bill,

Have you managed to resolve this, or do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I have been away on holidays, and could not track your reply on the website.

To respond to your question.

Shop bought DVDs play OK.

I use Panasonic Brand DVD-R.

They are finalised by the Roxio System.

Any further assistance would be helpful.

I have checked the recordings I have made on a system I have set up in another room and it works fine. It also works of friends DVD systems, none of which incidentally are of the Panasonic make.

Hope this gives you some more information to help.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Is it possible to connect the DMR 83 to the TV using SCART so we can at least eliminate that as being the problem.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Will give that a try over the next few days and then get back to you.

Bill

Thanks for the update Bill.

All the best,

Hi Bill,

I also contacted Panasonic about this and they replied as follows:

'Dear Mr. Hill,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response, please set the correct TV system mode on the DMR-EX83. To do that, follow the next steps:
1. Display [Function Menu]
2. Select [Others]
3. Select [Setup]
4. Select [Connection]
5. Select [TV System]
6. Set either one of the [PAL] or [NTSC] depending on the encryption of the DVD you have created.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Ethan

Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK '

I know that this is the same as I suggested earlier, but you may want to try this again, if the AV connection doesn't help.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thank you for you continued efforts on my behalf. I will try what you suggest again with Scart and HDMI and see what happens.

The annoying thing is my DVDS seem to work everywhere else except on my system.

Will get back to you when I have tried all this again.

Bill

Thanks for the update Bill.

All the best,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I think I have found the answer - albeit accidentally. Despite all the information you gave this still did not solve the problem so I went back to basics.

Started from scratch.

The DMR 83 has three drives. HDD, DVD and SD.

I have been inserting the DVD, switching to DVD drive and getting "Incompatible TV System Set up".

I tried - accidentally- selecting the DVD Drive before inserting the DVD, with the DVD tray open. Problem solved it would seem. I have tried this with three home produced DVDs and it seems to work - so far.

I will try this more vigorously over the next few weeks and if it fails one day - or continues OK - I will get back to you. Is this alright with you.

It would seem that you have to select DVD Drive prior to inserting a DVD.

not afterwards.

Will be in touch

Bill

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you're making progress.

I certainly haven't seen that issue with other Panasonic Recorders - very curious.

All the Best,