TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

How do I change the picture on Sharp Aquous TV from 640x480

Customer Question

How do I change the picture on Sharp Aquous TV from 640x480 to 1930x1080 without the controller
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Actually you change it on the box/device that's delivering the signal to the TV set. For example, if you're watching the DVD player, you set the video output resolution on the DVD player to 1080. Then if your DVD is a Blu Ray disc, it sends its signal to the TV as 1080. If the DVD is a 480 non-blu ray disc, it will only deliver 480 lines of information, but the Blu ray will upscale the picture to a 1080 line signal.

The downside...you can't make a non Blu Ray DVD disc ADD additional lines of information so you see High Definition Video. You'll just see 480 lines of information being converted to a 1080 signal.

The same applies to any other equipment. OLD TV shows that were recorded in Low Definition will still show up as a Low Definition picture, but the TV will automatically say it's receiving a High Definition 1080 signal.

So I set my DVD player to 1080, and my cable box too. The TV stays on 1080 all the time. The GOOD side to this setup is the fact the TV picture is available immediately because it doesn't have to switch back and forth between a 1080 picture and a 480 picture. There's always a pause in the picture if it switches, and you lose a couple seconds of picture at the beginning.

So you don't need the TV's controller at all, just use the cable box, or satellite box, or DVD or Game's controller, set them all to 1080 Video output resolution in the device's menu and leave it set that way.