Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My new Panasonic KX TG8563 works from the original BT wall

Customer Question

My new Panasonic KX TG8563 works from the original BT wall socket but does not connect at any of the two other wall sockets (one in kitchen and one in new bedroom) added during extension work? The wiring looks like two wires to all three sockets from a BT junction box. The original "old" BT corded phone works in all wall sockets. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Only 2 wires are required (connecting to positions 2 and 5 on the master BT socket)
If the new Panasonic phone will not work on the extensions, then the wiring may be too long or the wiring quality may be poor, or there may be too many other phones and devices already connected to the phone circuit.
Corded phones will work better on longer extensions than modern cordless phone systems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The wiring to the two new extension sockets is brand new and there is only the old BT corded phone attached to one of the three outlets. The set up is a BT line in from the street to a junction box splitting 3 ways to three wall sockets, the original that the old phone works from and the Panasonic, and two new that the old phone works from but not the Panasonic.

I accept that the corded phone is less complex but the new sockets are brand new as is the wiring. I will check the new sockets are to positions 2 and 5.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if they work for the corded phone, then in theory they should also work for the cordless base station - it does not require any additional wires.
The only other variant I can think of that may have a bearing on the new phone is the length of the extensions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One extension is about 10 metres and the other is about 15 metres. Panasonic told me to fit ADSL filters? What are the differences between the old BT wall sockets and the new ones? The wires connected are blue and orange on all wall sockets. I have not moved into my new house so I cannot check anything in the evening. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The colour of the wires should not matter as long as they are wired correctly, and if the corded phone works ok, then the extensions should be wired correctly.
ADSL filters are only required if you are using a broadband router to access the internet at the same time as using the phone. You will need to fit every extension with a ADSL filter if you have a broadband router connected to any phone line (they are not required if you are using BT Infinity, though).

If you need to get some filters, you can get them from Currys, Argos, Maplin, and many other stores:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-gps/home-phones/accessories/phone-accessories/logik-ladslf11-adsl-broadband-filter-10209482-pdt.html