Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience:  13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience. Current Company Owner as an IT Specialist in FL.
27991594

I have a sony handycam DCR-PC55 which my son wants to use.

I have a sony handycam DCR-PC55 which my son wants to use. We havent used it for ages but after charging and switching on it has a fast screen roll on the lcd which means he can't use it even though it sounds like its working.
Is there an easy fix? I found a similar problem described online that someone had with a different model suggesting a cable/hinge problem but no idea if this is the same type of problem.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a Question and Answer Company. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

The rolling means that the video signal is out of sync. This can be caused by a broken wire in the video cable that connect the Main Board to the LCD. This wire can break from normal use of moving the LCD back and forth. To diagnose the issue yourself, you would have to disassemble very carefully the whole Cam and use a Multi Meter to determine the faulty wire then manually replace it with a soldering iron and same gauge wire.

Another option is to send it into Sony and allow them to make the repair for you. Their turnaround time is about 2 weeks from personal experiece.