Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Washer dryer - Hotpoint WD440 Tried to start the machine

Customer Question

Washer dryer - Hotpoint WD440

Tried to start the machine but when I switch the machine on, all buttons on the control panel are flashing. I do not know what is the problem. Machine's been working fine all the while though I haven't used it in the past 1-2 months. Please help. Thanks!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

I'm not too sure. At least 5 years old I would say.

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

Was from the previous owner and I've moved in 2.5 years ago

KevinWhiteJA :

OK....Have you tried to unplug it and plug it back after few minutes ?

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

yes I have unplug it about 15 mins ago

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

I'm trying to plug them back on

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

still flashing all the lights

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

the dry setting is flashed (no door, wash rinse and final spin is not flashing)

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

except this time

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

and the drying heat, reduce creases etc plus on/off light is flashing

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

8:40 PM

yes I have unplug it about 15 mins ago

8:40 PM

I'm trying to plug them back on

8:41 PM

still flashing all the lights

8:42 PM

except this time

8:42 PM

8:42 PM

KevinWhiteJA :

OK...have you tried to clean the filter which located inside the back of the unit ?

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok the machine is kinda stuck to the wall

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

how do i reach the filter?

KevinWhiteJA :

you need to pull the unit out to clean the filter...also can you tell me...If you number the lights down the side of the dispenser with 1 at the top, which numbers(lights) flash?

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok its quite tricky

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

one has buttons downwards i.e. drying heat, reduce rinse etc.... so (a) for most top then (b), (c), ... downwards

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

it has (a-d) lights flashing. Only (e) is not lighted up. (e) is extra rinse

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

for door locked, wash etc.. this goes sideways so (1), (2) etc

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

so there's 2 blocks

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

(1-4) not lighted up. only (5) is lighted and this is dry

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

also the machine can't be moved

KevinWhiteJA :

OK...you will have to pull the unit out and then remove the back of the unit to clean the pipes and the filter located inside

KevinWhiteJA :

the flashing lights mean that the problem is with dryer heater relay

KevinWhiteJA :

after all this is done and if the problem is still there then that should be replaced

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok so I have to pull the machine out to reach the back of the machine?

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

is there a manual that can tell me how to clean the filters?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right....Take the heater assembly off and you'll find there's a filter between the heater and the tub....just check and make sure that this is clean. Check that the fan blades turn when the motor turns....also check the wiring harness from the control to the element and make sure that is fine

KevinWhiteJA :

cleaning the filter is simple...you can just take the back off and you will be able to see the filter

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok. I don't think I can do these on my own. Is there no manual or step by step instruction that I can read and digest before I try it on my own?

KevinWhiteJA :

Check this Video it is not for same model but will still help you

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok i'll try them tomorrow morning. thanks! :)

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok thanks!

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

are you sure that it's the filter that is creating all these problems?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes the flashing lights indicate that...if there is no blockage and after cleaning if the issue returns then you will have to check the dryer heater relay located on the electronic control board and the wiring harness and get back to me if you need more assistance

JACUSTOMER-ddthj2jv- :

ok sure. Thanks!

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Evening

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't forget to leave a Excellent or Good feedback so that I can get paid for the assistance that I have provided today...Thanks :)