TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

TV not working

We have a Samsung smart TV all the smart features are working but the TV (sky) is not we just have a blue screen - any ideas?

When the on screen menu is on - channel s greyed out
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

Anytime I see a blue screen, the first thing I check is the Sky box's menu and channel list to see if that appears on the TV screen or not.
If not, the blue screen is blocking them from appearing on the TV.

Is your HDMI input delivering the Sky box's menu, splash screen to the TV screen? The TV doesn't tune in Sky channels using its built in tuner, so the TV's menu won't have any control over it, and it's on screen menu would show the channels grayed out since you're connected to the HDMI video input.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No nothing is showing at all from the sky menu
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
We should try an HDMI reset...you have to turn off both the TV and the Sky box. Remove the power plug for 20 minutes so the micros will consume all the power stored in both units. That will reset them.

Once you do that, you plug in both power cords, and disconnect the HDMI cable at the TV or Sky box, whichever is more convenient.
Then you power on BOTH units. Then you wait one more minute, then HOT-PLUG the HDMI cable back in so the TV and Skybox discover each other and attempt to reconnect to each other.

If you still get the Blue screen at that time, if you happen to have a DVD player or another piece of equipment that uses HDMI...try plugging that into the same HDMI plug the skybox uses on the TV.

If the TV's HDMI connection is bad, you'll still see a blue screen, but if it's GOOD...you should see a picture coming from the second box.

That will at least isolate the problem to the TV's HDMI or the Sky box's HDMI connection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have done all the above and still have the blue screen. We do not have any other equipment so can not try that. What next?
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Well, at this point, either the Sky box isn't delivering an HDMI signal to the TV or the the TV isn't receiving it. If you rent your Sky box instead of owning it, I would contact the Provider of the Skybox and exchange the box with a new one.

If you own it...that's when it's important to KNOW the TV's HDMI is good. I'd borrow a friend's DVD player to test the TV's HDMI, make sure it's not causing the blue screen.

But overall, I suspect the Sky box is the reason you don't get a picture.

This may help to prove it's not the TV set. Unplug the HDMI cable with everything turned on. Your TV will most likely display No Signal or the picture will go black.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We don't seem to be any further forward but thanks for trying.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Sorry we couldn't isolate the problem down to the TV or Skybox. We don't want to assume the TV is the problem when the Skybox could be.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great news - just tried again and we have full service. Many thanks.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
It has to be the skybox blocking its signal to the TV then. Blue screens occur on them, but TVs generally create black screens if it's blocking the picture. Did you unplug the skybox a 2nd time, trying to reset it, or did the picture just suddenly appear as though the skybox started receiving a picture again?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We turned everything off and made sure the plugs were all in then went and had some lunch! When we came back and switched on the TV we saw that the screen on the Smart TV had gone black so we went into TV and all OK.

Many thanks for your assistance