Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience:  13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience. Current Company Owner as an IT Specialist in FL.
27991594

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder -- model no DMR-EZ47VEB. I

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder -- model no DMR-EZ47VEB. I was trYing to record from a VHS video to the DVD and have received error U61. I have tried 3 different recordable dvds and still recieve the same message. I now seem to be stuck in a loop of press ok to exit the error message, the whole machine closes down, and on re-start it goes back to trying to read the dvd. The rest of the functions of the machine are unavailable and I am unable to cancel this action. Please help.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

U61 is a communication error...it is usually solved by following the factory reset procedure...To reset it you will have to open the fron flap and make sure there is no disc inside...then Press and hold the Channel up and down buttons together on the front of the unit until the unit displays BYE...after this it will shut down, unplug the unit and plug it back after 4 minutes...check if this solves the problem...if it does not then get back to me

Customer:

I've already tried this several times ---as it was listed as a possible solution to problems in the user manual. Unfortunately it has no effect whatsoever. Once the message appears on screen, the only command that is accepted is the OK button, which starts the whole process over again. I've also disconnected the machine -- to no avail.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

and does it make any unusual noise as well ?

Customer:

At least 6 years old -- no more than 8

Customer:

When it is checking the disk it makes a chugging noise, when that stops the msg appears on screen.

KevinWhiteJA :

it sounds like the issue is to do with the drive motor which is making this noise

KevinWhiteJA :

if you are thinking to DIY then you can take the top off the unit and check what is happening

KevinWhiteJA :

looking at the age of the unit it is more likely failed motor drive or a bad ram drive...which will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

To be honest I don't know how to rate your answer, because you didn't tell me anything that I hadn't already read in the user manual and as for replacing the unit due to it's age, well that is common sense

KevinWhiteJA :

I am not telling you to replace the unit ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I told you to replace the failed drive motor or a bad ram drive

KevinWhiteJA :

that has to be checked first...are you willing to do this repair yourself ?

KevinWhiteJA :

if yes then take the top off the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

all this is there in User manual ?

Customer:

So I don't really feel as though I gained anything from your reply,albeit I appreciate you were trying to help. I was under the impression that I would be talking to a panasonic technician , whose expertise may have been worth£22. As is I have paid£22 for information I already had. Hence my rating will have to be poor. Sorry.

KevinWhiteJA :

I can only help if you are willing to take my help, please check the user manual again...anyways I will opt out of this so that someone else might be able to help you.

Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a Question and Answer Company. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

I don't receive a paycheck from Panasonic but I am trained on their products and know exactly what U61 is and a simple reset isn't going to fix it. There is a Capacitor or two on the Main Board that fails and throws this errors. Your options are to manually test each and every Capacitor using an ESR Meter, replace the Main Board, or replace the System all together.

I hope this clears the air for you. I also request that you take a couple moments and select from one of the Smiley Faces below so that I am compensated for my time today.

Thanks,
Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience: 13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience. Current Company Owner as an IT Specialist in FL.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see if you still needed any help. If you can spare a few seconds, please select from one of the Smiley Face Ratings above then press submit so that I am compensated for my time helping you.

Carl