Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a sharp aquos tv,bought a lg 150 watt sound bar connected

Customer Question

I have a sharp aquos tv,bought a lg 150 watt sound bar connected to tv bye optical cable but cant no sound
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

A good way to test your new soundbar is to use that optical connection and run it directly out of a DVD player or Cable/satellite box's optical output. Those units always have their optical outputs turned on, and verifies the soundbar settings are good.

Once that's verified, then we can find out WHY the TV isn't sending its audio out to the optical output jack.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello yes the sounbar is working through dvd player

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Ok, good. We know the soundbar isn't the problem then.

We do need to know what source you are using that DOESN'T work through you TV's Optical output.
Why?

Because optical audio signals can be one of two types -- PCM or BITSTREAM.

PCM has been the standard for all TVs since 2007, and BITSTREAM is actually SURROUND sound used for Amplifiers. That can be an issue if you're routing Bitstream audio from a DVD/Cable/Satellite box into a TV set, then out to a Soundbar.

PCM is stereo, and TVs are stereo, even if they have a SURROUND setting on them.

That's my first thought as to why you don't get audio out of your TV set.

The second thought is that the TV's speakers are turned on when they should be turned off so the optical output turns on.

But I also suspect you have tried both of those basic settings in your TV's menu already, and if so....we may have a dead optical output. You can look at the TV's optical output and see if it's lit up, but all that means is the optical output has power going to it. It doesn't guarantee that the Sound Signal is reaching the optical output from the TV's Audio Processor.

Check the optical output first...see if it's lit.
Tell me what INPUT on your TV you are using -- Local TV channels, HDMI, Component or Video.

If you are using video inputs, some of them work all the time, others need a proper cable, like the HDMI (1.3a is the lowest) and you have to set the Box that's delivering the sound to the PCM audio OUT (found on the box's AUDIO output menu)

A tuner connection on your TV should always deliver its signal to the optical output no matter what.

For better, less VAGUE information about how your TV should work...we really do need to get your TV's model number.

But the above information covers all the changes I have seen on models from 2005, up to the 2014 models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model no LC.37D65E TV IS ONPCM HOW DO WE TURN TV SPEAKERS OFF

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have a Sharp TV model number LC37D65E and have bought as LG soundbar, it works well through the DVD but very low sound through the TV.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi we gave you our model number and a question about turning tv speakers off and how we do it.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I think this is why you get no sound out of your optical audio connection, you may have to connect the older RCA audio output to your new soundbar because the connectors highlighted in Yellow do not send their signal to the optical output at all.

See picture --

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Your Sharp TV has two audio outputs, the RCA output and the optical output. Did you try BOTH with your LG soundbar? I didn't see a speaker on/off setting in your TV's audio submenu.