TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

my sony bravia tv/computer screen is approx. 6 years old .

Customer Question

my sony bravia tv/computer screen is approx. 6 years old . a few weeks ago it got a dark line down the centre of the screen, and this morning the picture is lots of little dots . is it the tube that's gone/going ? can it be repaired ? would it be cheaper to buy a new smart tv ? what can a smart tv do ? be grateful of advice ... not really very technical so hope I have explained things ok. I am elderly/disabled and so finances are very important. thank you, Lynda
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

So that's a 2008 TV set, which means it's more likely an LCD TV screen.

A vertical line down the screen would tell us the LCD Panel has lost a band of signal coming from a part in the LCD panel. And Dots could be the old signal TV channels instead of the new signal Digital channels. TVs that old still had the analogue tuners in them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will it be more cost effective to buy a new tv/computer screen ? would a smart tv fullfill that role ?

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Actually yes, the LCD panel having that black vertical line on it is telling us the LCD panel is bad, and that's the most expensive part of the unit. A smart TV does give you internet access, but I kind of prefer getting internet out of a DVD player if that's part of my entertainment system, simply because they cost less to upgrade than a TV set. A regular TV without it will be able to serve as a TV and computer monitor, but it does need Smart /Internet access only if you need to view Pictures and Movies from your computer's hard drive, or make a network connection to your computer for that reason.

A DVD player performs that function too.

So Smart operations don't have to be a part of your TV set if you plan on using a Blu Ray DVD player.

I have an older Projection TV set with a Smart DVD player, and get my computer files on it along with Netflix video services.