Phil.O (Sanman)
Phil.O (Sanman), Engineer
Experience:  Qualified Electrical Engineer, and keen electronics enthusiast.
30005850

I just bought an unlocked Huawei wife and a 3 3gb SIM card.

I just bought an unlocked Huawei wife and a 3 3gb SIM card. It works only when plugged in to electrical supply but when unplugged, goes off and I only get a flashing battery. Help!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Phil.O (Sanman) replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thanks for using Just Answer, I am a computer expert and look forward to helping you.
I take it that this item is second hand ?
Can you supply exact model number & tell me if you are charging it with the original charger for the device ?
I do know that if you want to charge your modem using your PC, you have to allow it to load the drivers by letting the software install. Once it has been installed, and the drivers loaded, it will then allow your PC to charge it via the USB cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is not second hand.
Is not a modem and does not have to have drivers installed.
I have only used the connection that came with the device to charge it.
Huawei mobile wifi W5220s--2ssid

IMEI:869470018289558
No I understand what it is, and your right it does not NEED drivers installed, it's just that for some strange reason it will not charge on a USB cable from a pc/laptop until you allow the drivers to load automatically, it's a known issue.

Can you tell me how exactly you are connecting to charge this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is fully charged - that is not the problem. again I say it is not a modem - it is a tiny myfy that I can take anywhere. This is the 4th one I have bought (for hubby and 2 grandchildren) - all work - I set them up myself. the only difference with this on is that the dongle is supposed to be unlocked and the SIM card did not come with it - I bought it separately as I wanted 3. It works when plugged in to electric but when I unplug it it stops working.

Can you tell me the model number please ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have given you all the numbers that I can find.
there are only 2 others

Mac and s/n
Is it any of these?

sorry just noticed you said it was W5220s , correct ?

With that model, the manual says....
"The battery icon on your MiFi will flash when it's charging. It'll stay green once it's fully charged."

but you say when you disconnect mains, battery is flashing, so defanately something wrong.

If you have one of the other units you mentioned available you can try swapping the battery to see if it is a battery problem, or a charging problem.

Another option is you can reset the unit, but this will clear any settings back to factory defaults. Let me know if you want further details on this option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I HAVE ALREADY DONE BOTH.
You need to tell me the result of swapping the battery, i.e. did the battery from the malfunctioning unit cause the older working unit to flash and power off, or did it work okay, also when you put the fully charged battery from the full working older unit, into the malfunctioning unit, did it get a solid green light and work for a while till it discharged or is it just the same, if just the same this would indicate that new unit is not working properly, even with a known good battery, and you should take it back to where you bought it from for a replacement unit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I GOT THAT MESSAGE MYSELF
I can't help you, if you don't give me any information, please can you specify what the result of the swap was.?
I am only trying to help you, please can you let me know how you wish to proceed, am quite happy if you wish me to opt out, to allow somebody else to try to help you. ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I AM SORRY BUT I TRIED EVERYTHING YOU ASKED ME BEFORE YOU ASKED ME. AND I GOOGLED IT TOO ABOUT THE BATTERY ETC. I CAME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION THAT I SHOULD SEND IT BACK BUT I DONT HAVE THE BOX - STUPID BUT THE OTHERS HAD WORKED SO I DID NOT SEE THE NEED TO KEEP IT.
Well you don't need the box to send back a faulty item, just the receipt or proof of purchase. :-)
Phil.O (Sanman), Engineer
Experience: Qualified Electrical Engineer, and keen electronics enthusiast.