*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

DMC FS37 Lens stuck closed. How can I open it?

Panasonic DMC FS37 camera Lens stuck closed. How can I open it? Battery fully charged but no change,

Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

• First make sure your batteries are fully charged.
  • Then remove the batteries for 5 minuies. Replace the batteries and see if the problem persists.
  • You can also try compressed air. There may be sand or another object stuck in the lens motors. Use compressed or canned air with a fine tip. Direct the air between the camera body and lens and move in a circular motion around the lens to free any debris.
  • You can also try to tap the padded USB cover firmly on a table with a towel folded to cushion the surface.
  • The last method is to try and force the lens. Turn off your camera and place it on its back on a flat surface. Look at the spacing between the lens and the body and see if the gap is consistent all the way around the lens. If the gap is not even it is likely that the camera fell while the lens was extended. Now VERY GENTLY push down on the lens were the gap is the biggest until you her a "click". This will indicate that the lens is back in place. Try powering back on.
  • If the lens does not extend or it extend and retracts turn of the camera. Hold the camera in your one hand and with the other hand turn the one part of the lens in a circular motion. Rotate both sections of the lens until you hear a "click". This will indicate that the lens popped back in place. Power the camera back on.
  • The last method you can use is to turn the lens while powering on the camera until you hear a "click". Power the camera of and back on to see if it works.

If any of these methods do not work the next option will be to get it professionally cleaned or repaired.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I have no tools, simply a pen knife and a fine brush I use for cleaning my keyboard. I have tried carefully inserting the blade in the lens crevices but I have not been able to free it. The lens has been sticking on and off for about a week, but was opening. Now it is closed. I have not dropped the camera. I think it is dirt - fine sand. I am in Saudi.

okay, you can get canned air from most department stores. The air will probably free the lens if it is sand.