Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Panasonic Movie Camera type HX-DC1 where the Menu

I have a Panasonic Movie Camera type HX-DC1 where the Menu & Rec buttons don't work. Also I am unable to download anything thro the USB cable into my computer.
Any ideas what the problem might be. The camera is about 2 years old.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Hello Norman, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
I'm sorry you are having trouble with this camera.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Have you tried to take out battery from camera for 10 minutes, insert it again and check?

Since menu button doesn't work so can't access to initial setup option in menu to reset camera and battery removal is only option here. If you haven't tried it yet, please do it now and reply back how it worked.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Shahid

Ive done as you suggested but to no avail. The Menu & Rec buttons still are not working. The Video & Photo buttons have worked ok thro'out.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
ah OK Norman,

It is very simple camera and I can say it has got problem with main board where processor chip isn't working properly as it doesn't implement few control buttons commands for some reason and USB output is also related to main board. I'm sorry we are looking at defective main board in camera that requires replacement to resolve these issues.
Main board replacement in Panasonic service center may cost more than camera worth, however, if you get another used camera of same model that will work to cannibalize main board for this one, there is same model used camera available for 90 Pounds over Aamzon.co.uk and it will work if you can exchange main board in camera.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-HX-DC1-HD-Camcorder-1920x1080/dp/B004OR0VSQ

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.