Viet - Technician
Viet - Technician, Technician
Experience:  Electronics Tech. Troubleshoot consumer electronics devices.
30037186

I have recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. I fully

I have recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. I fully charged it and inserted a sim card as per instructions from the online manual. When I turn on the phone after start up it takes me to screen where all I can do is dial numbers as opposed to the normal home page. I can't access any applications or phone any numbers apart 999. The only function that seems to work is the power on button and the options it gives although I can receive phone calls. Do you know what the problem is?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Viet - Technician replied 3 years ago.

Hello Ken! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. It looks like there is issue either with your new phone, or with the connection with your carrier. Since the phone is new, let's reset it fresh and see if it works:

1.Press together the 3 buttons: Volume up + Home + Power (On/Off)
2.Release your fingers of the phone when Samsung logo appear
3.Choose with volume up/down buttons "wipe data/factory reset" and select it with Power button
4.Choose "yes" with volume up/down buttons and select it with power button
5.Wait untiil format is complete
6.Select "reboot"

If needed, please see the instructions video for a second way to reset the phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3t4qc8Fai74#t=72
(see starting at 1:12 minute)

If that does not work, I recommend to contact the place where you've purchased the phone first. And/or check with your phone provider/carrier. Otherwise, please call Samsung. It looks like you've gotten a new bad one.

• UNITED KINGDOM
  • 0330 SAMSUNG (7267864)
  • Monday - Saturday: 9am - 6pm

• IRELAND
  • 0818 717100
  • Monday - Saturday: 9am - 6pm

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android/GT-I8190RWABTU-support

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,