Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

how do the new image device work on the xray tables. {the replacement

how do the new image device work on the xray tables. {the replacement imageintesefyer}
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to answer your question.

The x-ray image intensifier converts x-rays into a visible image by allowing low intensity x-rays to be converted to a visible light output. The device contains a low absorbency/scatter input window, typically aluminum, input fluorescent screen, photocathode, electron optics, output fluorescent screen and output window. These parts are all mounted in a high vacuum environment within glass or more common nowadays, metal/ceramic. It allows the viewer to more easily see the structure of the object being imaged than past fluorescent screens. The X-ray II requires lower dose rates due to more efficient conversion of x-ray quanta to visible light. It can also provide the image for the film to record.

The input screens range from 15–57 cm, with the 23 cm, 33 cm and 40 cm being among the most common. Within each image intensifier, the actual field size can be changed using the voltages applied to the internal electron optics to achieve magnification and reduced viewing size. Because the output screen remains fixed in size, the output appears to "magnify" the input image.

If you have a specific image intensifier model in mind, or need additional information, just let me know and I'll be happy to help :)

Best regards,

Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you ,the I/I you explain is the old type a bit like a large jam pot

the face or bottom of j/p coved in phosphor the top j/p has 35cm phosphor target , the x rays hit the base phosphor and give off photons which are excelerate to the viewing target two or three round anode are place in the jar to excelerate the photons to the taget,and to focus the photons [ the anode volt are about 25kv] the target face then

has an optical lens fitted and the a television camera.

The device I was looking for look like a large sandwidge bok about 12inches square and 6inches deep, used on cardiac C armes .

I think it may be the same technology as flat screen t/v.

thanks

Brian watts

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brian,

Ah yes, I think you are refererring to the SSXRII - "solid-state x-ray image intensifier" -
it is an EMCCD-based x-ray detector designed to provide high-resolution, real-time images, and offers significant improvements over existing FPDs and XRIIs.
XRIIs and FPDs both have limited resolution capabilities of ~3 cycles/mm. To overcome these limitations, a SSXRII module has been developed, consisting of a 1k x 1k, 8 mum pixel EMCCD with a fiber-optic input window, which views a 350 mum thick CsI(Tl) phosphor via a 4:1 magnifying fiber-optic-taper (FOT). Arrays of these modules can be used to provide a larger field-of-view than is currently available.

Some technical information on the improvements:
Detector MTF, DQE, and instrumentation-noise equivalent exposure (INEE) were measured to evaluate the SSXRII's performance using a standard x-ray spectrum (IEC RQA5), allowing for comparison with current state-of-the-art detectors. The MTF was 0.20 at 3 cycles/mm, comparable to standard detectors, and better than 0.05 up to 7 cycles/mm, well beyond current capabilities. DQE curves indicate no degradation from high-angiographic to low-fluoroscopic exposures (< 2% deviation in overall DQE from 1.3 mR to 2.7 muR), demonstrating negligible instrumentation-noise, even with low input signal intensities. An INEE of < 0.2 muR was measured for the highest-resolution mode (32 mum effective pixel size). Comparison images between detector technologies qualitatively demonstrate these improved imaging capabilities provided by the SSXRII.