TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

Hi, my mate and myself have AEG BSB18 cordless drills with

Customer Question

Hi, my mate and myself have AEG BSB18 cordless drills with L1830R Batteries and BL1618 chargers all bought at the same time. (nice bit of kit). however my mates batteries appear to have gone down (stopped working). His batteries will not drive my drill but my batteries will work his. The query is that they seem to be fully charged. They show normal charging on the charger for a minute or two before the lights change to show fully charged. There are no broken battery lights displayed on the charger, every thing appears normal. Could this be happening if there is something wrong with the battery packs. If you do not deal with this sort of equipment on this site could you give me one that does. Many thanks, microbiker91.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

While I do suspect your mate's batteries could have been charged in a different manner than you did over the period of time that you both owned these units, it is possible your mate's charger isn't charging them correctly.

Have you tried your charger on your mate's batteries? That would tell you if the charger or the batteries are the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI, I have to agree with you, we thought that his charger was the most likely issue as my batteries seem ok. The confusing thing is that we get the same response from both chargers to his batteries.ie showing full charge with no broken battery lights on.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

That makes me suspect his batteries even more, because two things lithium ion batteries don't like...being in the cold and being fully discharged over a period of time.

Those wear out the batteries fairly quickly, and they do have a tendency to show less run time when either one occurs to the battery.

Since they are only occurring with your mate's batteries, I suspect that the issue is related to how they get charged. The broken battery light only comes on if the sensor inside the battery fails, so it won't show a battery that can't store a charge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/aeg-l1830r-battery

Those are pretty expensive batteries, but it's the only place I can find selling them.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Another option

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aeg-18v-battery-li-ion-3ah-/221410112561
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am still waiting for a reply to my question about the battery cells and control gear that I sent following your post at 9.25 on 6th April.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
I don't see any posting regarding the cells, don't know why it didn't appear. Can you re-post it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, are we just talking about the storage cells failing and not the control board. There is a lot of info on the web about fitting new cells into the battery unit as a cheaper fix to buying a complete new unit. The main concern is whether the control board is working or not, obviously if it has gone as well it is a waste of time fitting new storage cells. Does the lack of a broken battery light mean that the board is ok. Also my mate questions the length of time that the battery unit will store uncharged as he thinks a few days to a week would be ok as he tends to run down both batteries and then charge them together. I tend to charge mine on the night that they go flat so that I always have a charged one in hand.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/

One of the key concerns is fully discharging the battery and allowing it to stay that way. I personally recharge mine immediately when the drill stops working.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about leaving a battery fully discharged for long periods of time --

When stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry may drain the battery below its shutdown voltage; normal chargers are then ineffective. Many types of lithium-ion cells cannot be charged safely below 0 °C

Your description of how your mate charges his batteries makes me think he may have allowed the batteries to discharge too much and now the charger can't start the charging process.

Personally, I'd discharge one of your batteries, and plug it into his charger and see if it charges. That will tell you if the control board is bad. I don't believe it is, I think the battery is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I think the term " left discharged for a long period of time" is open to interpretation but my interpretation would not be a few days but a number of weeks. Thanks for your input anyway I have rated you so that you can be paid. I have now opened a dialogue with AEG directly as their literature indicates that there product has some sophisticated control mechanism particular to them. We will see.

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Most Li-Ion battery chargers are sophisticated enough to monitor the Low and High level voltages, but the ones that supercede...they're going to have voltage monitoring, then switch to current monitoring, then a rest...then switch to current monitoring for the final charge.

So ask them what makes their chargers more sophisticated than the others. See what they say.