Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

i have a precor c964i running machine and its showing error

Customer Question

i have a precor c964i running machine and its showing error 22 what can i do ?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Error 22 indicates that the drive motor (running belt) has been instructed to start, by either manual or program control, and the monitoring system has not received any response from the speed sensing system indicating that the drive motor has started.

Possible Causes:
1. The line of sight between the speed sensor and the speed sensor target is obstructed.
2. The drive motor brushes are bad.
3. The speed sensor position relative to the speed sensor target is incorrect.
4. The speed sensor potentiometer adjustment is incorrect.
5. The speed sensor is inoperative.
6. The lower PCA is bad.
7. The lower PCA to upper PCA interconnect cable is bad.
8. The upper PCA is bad.

Possible Remedies:
1. Remove dust from the sensor. Carefully vacuum out the drive motor compartment with a static safe vacuum cleaner. Pay special attention to the area between the speed sensor and speed sensor target.

2. If the motor brushes do not make sufficient contact with the motor commutator, the drive motor will not start when drive voltage is applied. Replace both drive motor brushes.

3. Adjust the speed sensor position so that the space between the speed sensor and the speed sensor target is 3/16 inch and so that the speed sensor photo eye is aimed at the larger
portion of the targets wedge shaped section. On hall effect speed sensors (magnetic sensor) the space between the end of the speed sensor and the flywheel tooth should be 3/16 inch.

4. Locate the speed sensor potentiometer on the lower PCA. Set the speed sensor potentiometer at mid-range. Start the treadmill and increase the speed to 6 mile per hour.
Carefully adjust the speed sensor potentiometer to the point where the treadmill is operating
the smoothest. Increase the treadmills speed to full speed at repeat the previous adjustment.
These two adjustments are typically small and are usually only a matter of fine tuning.

5. If the speed sensor in inoperative the drive motor will start and run briefly before the error 21 occurs. If it is possible to access the speed sensor wiring, measure the D.C. voltage between the speed sensor leads Two of the leads will constantly read approximately 5 Vdc. Two of the leads will toggle between 0 Vdc. and 5 Vdc. as you slowly rotate the speed sensor target. If you do not see both measurements above, the speed sensor is inoperative and must be
replaced. In some cases the speed sensor is mounted on the lower PCA and the the lower PCA must be replaced.

6. Substitute a known good lower PCA to determine if the lower PCA is bad.

7. Substitute a known good interconnect cable for the existing cable.

8. Substitute a known good upper PCA to determine if the upper PCA is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The info above I had already read online in the manual. What isn't explained is where exactly are all the components and in relation to each other. Do you have any labelled images of the different components.?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Catherine,
I don't have any labelled images.
If you can upload a photo I can identify the components for you.
They are all connected together.
If cleaning the sensors and checking the cables did not help, then you will likely have to replace one of the printed circuit boards (PBA's)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are 2 cables red and black attached to the motor. I have just attached the 2 to 2 other red and black cables. the machine now works. I had just bought this machine 2nd hand and was told specifically not to attach them. !!! The belt seems slanted what would you suggest it the best way to straighten it ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Catherine,

It seems that those cables should have been attached then!

If the belt is slanted, it will need to be adjusted.

Take the following steps to adjust the running belt on the C964i treadmill. To ensure proper safety while aligning the running belt, all adjustments must be made when the treadmill is OFF.
CAUTION: Do not walk on the running belt during this procedure.
1. Make sure the treadmill is OFF and the running belt is completely stopped.
2. Locate the belt adjustment bolt at the rear of the treadmill. (It is on the right hand side as you stand behind the rear roller and face the display.) The direction you turn the bolt depends on how the belt is tracking. Make all belt adjustments on the rear corner bolt using the hex key provided.
• If the belt is off center to the LEFT, turn the adjusting bolt 1/4 turn clockwise, which moves the running belt to the right.
• If the belt tracks off center to the RIGHT, turn the bolt 1/4 turn counterclockwise; this moves the belt to the left.
Important: Do not turn the adjusting bolt more than 1/4 turn at a time. Overtightening the bolt can damage the treadmill.
3. With the safety switch positioned at the green dot, turn ON the treadmill.
Press the QUICK START key and then increase the speed of the running
belt to 2 mph (3.2 kph) using the SPEED key.
4. Observe the running belt for about a minute. The belt should track centered on the running bed.
5. Press STOP/PAUSE to stop the running belt.
6. If the belt needs additional alignment, repeat steps 1 through 5 of this procedure until the belt is properly aligned.
7. Once the running belt is properly aligned, press RESET to display the initial start-up prompt.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi Catherine!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?

Let me know,

Pete.