Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I Have a Goodmans HD+ freesat box which is telling me that

Customer Question

I Have a Goodmans HD+ freesat box which is telling me that I have problem with the hard drive and that I need to re-format it but it says it can't do it. It now freezes if I attempt to pause programmes and the record buttons no longer function. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

If you are unable to successfully format the hard drive, then this is a sure sign that the hard drive is damaged or faulty and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this mean there is nothing to be done? Is there any history of this being a problem with this particular model?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff,
There is no history of this being a problem with this particular model; however it does affect all digital recorders - after a few years the hard drive will need to be reformatted or replaced.
The only thing that can be done is to replace the hard drive - if you are able to open the Goodmans box and check the type of existing hard drive, you can replace it with any equivalent or larger size disk, as long as the connection type is the same.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

This recorder is only 18 months old which is disapointing. I'm not skilled enough to do what you suggest so will contact Goodmans and see what they have to say.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff,
If it is only 18 months old, then you can return it to the retailer and demand that they repair or replace it under the automatic 2 year EU warranty rule - see http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?

Let me know,

Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

The EU legislation you suggest is somewhat complex in that it requires you to prove that the problem existed when the item was bought. This can be quite difficult to achieve. More relavent is that part of the sale of goods act which refers to equipment should be expected to last a "Reasonable" length of time. This applies for up to 6 years after purchase. In the case of my recorder this would have been a good argument to use.

However the box seems to have righted itself and is now performing as it should.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Geoff

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff,

I have used this legislation and recommended it to people many times :)
Most retailers will replace or repair without any fuss.
If they do ask you to prove that the problem existed, you can get a local electronics repair man to investigate and write a report for a small fee (I have sometimes got these reports for free, and sometimes I have been charged £10-20).