carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

My camera has stopped working. The camera told me that the

My camera has stopped working. The camera told me that the card needed formatting and that I would lose all the photos on the card. As I was out at a meeting where the photos were needed, I went ahead and formatted the card. It did not work. Then the camera told me that it was out of memory.

Do I need a new card or is the camera broken and can it be mended?

Isabel
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

carlday1 :

Hi Isabel,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

I think it is more likely that the card is at fault and not your camera. You could try formatting the card in a computer if you have a computer with a card slot.

What type of card is it and what is the model and make of your camera?

Memory cards for cameras have become very cheap to buy so I would recommend purchasing a spare card for camera.

Customer:

The card is a PNY one 8GB and I have had it since I bought the camera in Nov 2012. The camera is a Nikon Coolpix P 510 and I got it for a special birthday.

Customer:

Will you wait till I try the card in the computer?

carlday1 :

Yes I can wait while you try the card in the computer

Customer:

I've got it in, what do I do now?

carlday1 :

If you go to windows explorer (press windows key and E) the card should show up as another hard drive.

carlday1 :

If your card is showing up as another hard drive to format it you have to right click on it and select format.

Customer:

You'll have to help me a little further with this!

carlday1 :

If you press the windows key and E do you get windows explorer?

Customer:

I can't see format in the list.

carlday1 :

Can you see your card as a hard drive?

Customer:

Yes I have got to 'another hard drive' I think

carlday1 :

Brillant can you double click on it and hopefully you will have a folder called dcim

Customer:

No I looked at the wrong thing.

carlday1 :

it might be under removable devices

Customer:

The long green line is taking ages to do its work.

carlday1 :

I do think the card is faulty then if it is slowing the computer down it is the card. You could try the right click and format but to be honest I think the best solution would be to by a new card.

Customer:

Hi there. Somehow I couldn't get back to this page and the green line kept on going. I have read what you have written and I shall take notice of your recommendation. Thank you. Isabel