Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

I have a tomtom one which was working fine until suddenly the

I have a tomtom one which was working fine until suddenly the screen went blank. I have checked the lighter socket into which the device was plugged and this is working correctly. The device is about 3 years old and has been used relatively little but has performed well both here and on the continent what options do I have other than buying a new one?
( I asked the same question an hour or so ago and got called away)
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question.

I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Please note that electronics troubleshooting is not always easy and sometimes I will not be able to find solution for your problem immediately, so if my first answer does not resolve your problem or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD SERVICE or POOR SERVICE (that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record - very damaging for me). Please use "Reply to Expert" button instead.

•ANSWER•

Sometimes your device can be unresponsive and keep you from using the device properly (the most important reason for this issue can be glitch in the software). If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue.

Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Remove SD card (if you have SD card in your device)
2. Locate the small hole located on the bottom of the device, above the SD card slot.
3. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
4. Press and hold it for 25 seconds.
5. Insert SD card.
6. Press and hold Power button for exactly 25 seconds.

If that doesn't help, please try the next troubleshooting step:
1. Plug the Tomtom into the charger for 10 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power button for 35 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the device to reboot.

Please try all solutions (step by step) and let me know if that works. I'll be waiting for your reply.

If none of those solutions works or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with the next step.

Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Todd,

I have tried the second method as there does not appear to be a removable SD card, still no luck can you suggest something else

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for delay, I was offline.

There are 5 versions of TomTom ONE model (1st, 2nd, 3rd edition, 125/130 and 140 model version).

TomTom One 1st and 2nd edition support SD memory card. TomTom 3rd edition, TomTom 125/130 and 140 model doesn't have it.

First 3 version have "reset button". TomTom 123/130 and 140 model version doesn't have it.

Let's find out what is the version of your TomTom ONE model.

Check for serial number on your device. Serial number can be found on the bottom of your device.

If your model is ONE 3rd edition please check for reset button (check the picture below). Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
Press and hold it for 25 seconds. When done, press and hold Power button for exactly 25 seconds.

3rd edition reset button

If your model is 125/130 or 140 please let me know.

Regards,
Todd

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Todd,

There doesn't appear to be a re-set button and therefore I give the three numbers appearing on the base of the device-

1. C-No-PS2100A00743

2. 4EKO.001.01

3. N14644

I assume No.1. is the serial number and be grateful for your further help

Thank you for additional information Roger.

You are right No.1 is serial number.

Your Tomtom ONE model is 140 - IQ routes. Like I mentioned above there is no reset for this model.

The next troubleshooting step will be to perform force reset. For this procedure you will need USB cable to connect your device to computer. Please follow the steps below:
1. Connect the USB cable to computer (do not connect TomTOm).
2. On your TomTom hold the Power button for 20 seconds.
3. After 20 seconds while still holding Power button, plug the other part of the USB cable in the TomTom.
4. Leave the TomTom for 2 minutes and try to turn it on (hold the Power button for exactly 35 seconds).

Please keep me updated. I'll be waiting for your reply.

Best Regards,
Todd

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Todd,

This seems to have done the trick .The screen is showing TomTom One IQ Routes and is still attached to the computer via the USB lead assume it is updating?

Great news Roger.

Yes, software should be updated (there is a new version available at TomTom Home). After update is done, device should restart automatically.

If device get stuck on the start screen please let me know. I will be happy to provide you with more help.

If device works properly after you disconnect it from computer please don't forget to rate my answer with GOOD SERVICE or EXCELLENT SERVICE, as this is the only way I get credited for helping you.

Regards,
Todd