*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have an EPSON Photo PX650 and an iMac OS X 10.9.2. During

I have an EPSON Photo PX650 and an iMac OS X 10.9.2. During cartridge change I have an error message 'Paper is jammed in the printer, turn off & remove papoer....'

But no paper is jammed in the printer. The error message keeps repeating. Please help. Michael Scruton
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
This sounds like the cartridges amy not be seated properly. Try removing the cartridges, make sure all of the packaging tape is removed from the cartridges.

1. Power off the printer and wait until no lights are displayed on the printer control panel and ensure the printer is on a level surface.
  2. Remove any loaded paper and check the auto sheet feeder (paper path) for foreign objects and obstructions.
  3. Check under the printer cover and ensure that the cartridges are seated correctly and nothing is obstructing the ink cartidge holder.
  4. Check for any bits of torn paper around the front of the printer and the ink cartridge holder.

Open printer lid

5. Ensure there are no blockages in the paper exit tray at the front of the printer..

Please let me know if this does not work and we will continue troubleshooting this issue.
To replace an ink cartridge using the ink button, follow the steps below.
Make sure that the printer is on. The power light should be on, but not flashing.
Lower the output tray, then open the printer cover.
Press the ink button. The print head moves to the ink cartridge replacement position, the power light begins to flash, and the ink out light corresponding to the ink cartridge that needs to be replaced begins to flash or remains on.
Note:
Do not press the ink button for more than three seconds. The print head cleaning command will be initiated if the ink button is pressed for more than three seconds.
Caution:
Do not move or force the print head by hand, as this may damage the printer. Always press the ink button to move the print head.
Open the cartridge cover. Pinch the sides of the ink cartridge that you want to replace. Lift the cartridge out of the printer and dispose of it properly. Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
Warning:
If ink gets on your hands, wash them thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. If discomfort or vision problems remain after a thorough flushing, see a doctor immediately.
Note:
  • For best results, shake the new ink cartridge four or five times before opening the package.
  • Do not shake the ink cartridge after removing from the bag; this can cause leakage.
Remove the new ink cartridge from its protective bag. Place the ink cartridge vertically into the cartridge holder. Then, push the ink cartridge down until it clicks into place. Do not apply excessive force to the cartridge.
Caution:
  • Be careful not to break the hooks that are on the side of the ink cartridge when you remove it from the package.
  • Do not remove or tear the label on the cartridge; otherwise, ink will leak.
  • Do not touch the green IC chip on the side of the cartridge. This can damage the ink cartridge.
  • If an ink cartridge should be removed temporarily from the printer, be sure to protect the ink supply area of the ink cartridge from dirt and dust. Store the ink cartridge in the same environment as the printer. When storing the cartridge, be sure that it stands as shown in the illustration below (the label that identifies the color of the ink cartridge should be displayed on the top of the cartridge). The valve in the ink supply port is designed to contain any excess ink that may be released. However, careful handling is recommended. Do not touch the supply port of the ink cartridge or its surrounding area.
  • Be sure to always install an ink cartridge into the printer immediately following the removal of an old ink cartridge. Failure to promptly install the ink cartridge may cause the print head to dry out and render it unable to function properly.
When you are finished replacing the cartridge, close the cartridge cover and the printer cover.
Press the ink button. The printer moves the print head and begins charging the ink delivery system. The ink lights start flashing. This process takes about one minute to complete. When the ink charging process is finished, the printer returns the print head to its home position. The power light will stop flashing and remain on, and the ink out light will turn off.
Caution:
The power light will continue to flash while the printer is charging ink. Never turn off the printer while this light is flashing.
Note:
If the ink end error occurs after the print head moves to its home position, the ink cartridge may not be installed properly. Press the ink button again, and reinstall the ink cartridge until it clicks into place.

[Top]

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have replied to expert having followed his instructions but appear not to have had a follow-up. I am no further forward but the error message has changed as I indicated in my response. Whenever I hit 'view full image I get a blank screen and have some difficulty getting back to your response screen. Where has my reply gone? Michael

Sorry about that. I did not receive your response. What is the error message that you are getting now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The error message is,'Replace ink cartridges', 'OKProceed', then, 'Cannot recognise ink cartridges', 'OKProceed', then back to, 'Replace ink ....'. The cartridges should be OK since I bought them from an Epson dealer and they are what I always have; can this be the issue? Michael

yes, the problem may be with the ink cartridges. Try this first> remove the power cord from the printer, then press the power button on the printer for 5 seconds. Then reconnect the power cord and power on the printer. If that does not work try these steps by clicking on each blue link>
  1. Check that the cartridge is a genuine Epson ink cartridge.
  2. Check that the cartridges are correct for your Epson product.
  3. Wipe the green IC chip on the cartridge that is not recognised.
  4. Check the chip contacts within the ink cartridge holder for any debris or dried ink and wipe with a lint-free cloth if necessary.
  5. Check that the plastic at the bottom of the cartridge has been pierced. If it isn't pierced, reinstall the ink cartridge by following Step 9.
  6. Check that the cartridges are in the correct slots.
  7. Reinstall the cartridges into the ink cartridge holder in the correct slots.
  8. Push each ink cartridge down firmly until it clicks into place.
  9. Once you have installed the cartridges, push the ink cartridge holder lid down. It should clip into place and be secure.
  10. Press the Stop/ Maintenance/ Ink/ ink cartridge replacement button. This will return the ink cartridge holder to the right hand side of the unit. If the cartridges are recognised, the printer will begin to charge the ink.
  11. - If the error light flashes after the print head returns to the home position, the ink cartridge may not be installed properly.
  12. - If the red light is no longer displayed, but Status Monitor still reports a Non-Genuine Ink warning.
  13. - If the red light is still on the printer, and Status Monitor indicates that an ink cartridge is not recognised.
  14. If the problem remains, there may be a fault with the ink cartridge(s).
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience: I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have followed all instructions with no change. Now I have to go see the shopkeeper tomorrow. Thanks for your help, your instructions are clearly methodical and I shall do the rating, whatever the conclusions tomorrow. Thanks Randy, Michael

okay, sorry about that.
Please let me know if you need anything.
Thank you very much!