*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

My HP photosmart printer 6520 say carriage jammed. I cant

Customer Question

My HP photosmart printer 6520 say carriage jammed. I can't find any paper and have tried to reset it. No luck. The print cartridges move freely.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with the carriage jam message.

Try to perform a hard reset on the printer. Unplug the power cord from the back. Leave it out for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

Follow these steps to remove any jammed paper from the cartridge access area.
  1. Open the cartridge access door.
    Figure 1: Open the cartridge access door
    Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  2. Locate the cartridge access area.
    Figure 2: The cartridge access area
    Image: The cartridge access area.
  3. Gently remove any jammed paper and bits of torn paper from the cartridge access area. To avoid tearing any whole sheets of paper, pull the paper with both hands.
    NOTE:Use a flashlight to thoroughly check for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, more jams are likely to occur.

Step three: Clear any jammed paper from the duplexer

Follow these steps to remove any jammed paper from the duplexer.
  1. Make sure that the power is off and that the power cord is disconnected from the rear of the printer.
  2. With the cartridge access door open, locate the cleanout door. The door is behind the cartridge access area.
    Figure 3: Locate the cleanout door
    Image: The cleanout door.
  3. Pull the cleanout door up and out to remove it from the printer.
    Figure 4: Remove the cleanout door from the printer
    Image: Remove the cleanout door from the printer.
    1 - Lift the cleanout door up
    2 - Pull the cleanout door out
  4. Gently remove any jammed paper and bits of torn paper. To avoid tearing any whole sheets of paper, pull the paper with both hands.
    NOTE:Use a flashlight to thoroughly check for torn pieces of paper that might remain in the cleanout area. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, more jams are likely to occur.
    Figure 5: Remove any jammed paper from the cleanout area
    Image: Remove any jammed paper from the cleanout area.
  5. Press the duplexer cover hole with your finger, and then use your thumb to lift up the front of the duplexer cover.
    Figure 6: Lift up the duplexer cover
    Image: Lift up the duplexer cover.
  6. Hold up the duplexer cover with one hand, and then gently remove any jammed paper and bits of torn paper with the other hand.
    NOTE:Use a flashlight to thoroughly check for torn pieces of paper that might remain in the duplexer area. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, more jams are likely to occur.
    Hold up the duplexer cover while you remove any jammed paperHold up the duplexer coverRemove any jammed paperImage: Hold the duplexer cover up and remove any jammed paper.
  7. Let the duplexer cover fall back into place, and then reinsert the cleanout door. Gently push the door into the cleanout area until both latches snap into place.
  8. Close the cartridge access door.
    Figure 8: Close the cartridge access door
    Image: Close the cartridge access door.
  9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  10. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

Step four: Print a Printer Status Report

Print a test page to make sure that the hardware functions correctly.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , and the test page prints , there is no need to continue troubleshooting. Reconnect the USB cable, and then try to print again.
  • If the issue persists , continue with the next solution.
  • If the test page does not print , continue with the next solution.

Solution three: Make sure that the carriage moves freely

Follow these steps to make sure that the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.

Step one: Check the carriage path for obstructions

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the printer if it is not on already.
  2. Open the cartridge access door.
    NOTE:The carriage might try to move into the cartridge access area. If it does, allow it to move to that position.
    Figure 9: Open the cartridge access door
    Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  3. With the printer turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
    WARNING:To avoid the risk of electrical shock, you must unplug the power cord before moving the carriage by hand and resetting the paper feed mechanism.
  5. Check for and remove any loose paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage.
  6. Reach into the cartridge access area, and then manually move the carriage.
    • If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer , move the carriage to the left side of the printer.
    • If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer , move the carriage to the right side of the printer.
    • If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer , move the carriage to the right side of the printer.
  7. Remove any loose paper or objects that you find.
  8. Make sure that the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer by gently pushing the carriage to the left, and then to the right.

Step two: Make sure that the cartridges are vented properly

If the carriage can move freely and the printer is new and out of the box , then follow these steps to make sure that the cartridges are vented properly.
  1. Press the tab on the front of the cartridge inward to release it, and then pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.
    Figure 10: Remove the cartridge from the slot
    Image: Remove the cartridge from the slot
  2. Locate the vent area on the top of the cartridge.
    Figure 11: Vent area on top of the cartridge
    Image: Vent area on top of the cartridge
    • If an orange pull tab is still attached to the cartridge, remove it.
      Figure 12: Orange pull tab
      Image: Orange pull tab
  3. Check the vent to make sure that it is not clogged
    Figure 13: Clogged vent
    Image: Clogged vent
    Figure 14: Clean vent
    Image: Clean vent
  4. If the vent is clogged, clean it carefully with a pin.
  5. With the nozzle and contacts facing down, slide the cartridge into its slot, and then press down on the cartridge until it clicks into place.
    Figure 15: Reinsert the cartridge
    Image: Reinsert the cartridge
  6. Repeat these steps to inspect and clean the vent on each cartridge.
  7. Close the cartridge access door.
    Figure 16: Close the cartridge access door
    Image: Close the cartridge access door.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  9. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.

Step three: Print a Printer Status Report

• If these steps resolved the issue , and the test page prints , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.

Solution four: Make sure that the posts in the cartridge parking area are not blocking the carriage

The carriage might move freely to the left and right even though the error displays on the control panel. Follow these steps to check if the posts are blocking the carriage.

Step one: Make sure that the posts in the cartridge parking area are not blocking the carriage

NOTE:Consider using gloves to perform these steps.
  1. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
  2. Open the cartridge access door.
    Figure 17: Open the cartridge access door
    Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  3. Reach into the cartridge access area, and then manually move the carriage to the left of the printer and then the right. The carriage should move completely underneath the cover on the right side of the printer.
    • If you cannot move the carriage completely underneath the cover on the right side of the printer , continue with these steps.
      Figure 18: Example of the carriage partially under the cover on the right side of the printer
      Image: Example of the carriage partially under the cover on the right side of the printer.
    • If you can move the carriage underneath the cover on the right side of the printer , skip to the next step to print a status report .
      Figure 19: Example of the carriage resting underneath the cover on the right side of the printer
      Image: Example of the carriage resting under the cover.
  4. Move the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then use a flashlight to look inside the printer under the right cover.
    Figure 20: Example showing where to look under the printer cover
    Image: Example showing where to look under the printer cover.
  5. Make sure that the posts are not blocking the carriage from moving all the way to the right.
    Figure 21: Example of posts that might be blocking the carriage
    Image: Example of the posts blocking the carriage.
  6. Use a long, slim object (such as the eraser-end of a pencil) to gently push in the post.
    Figure 22: Example of pushing in the post with a pencil
    Image: Example of pushing in the post with a pencil.
  7. Reach into the cartridge access area, and then manually move the carriage to the right of the printer. The carriage should move under the printer cover.
    WARNING:Do not lift up on the carriage.
    Figure 23: Push the carriage to the right
    Image: Push the carriage to the right.
    Figure 24: Example of the carriage resting under the cover
  8. Close the cartridge access door.
    Figure 25: Close the cartridge access door
    Image: Close the cartridge access door.
  10. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.
  11. If the printer does not turn on automatically, press the Power button to turn it on.

Step two: Print a Printer Status Report

Solution five: Make sure that the cartridges are not touching the printer housing

Follow these steps to make sure that the carriage is not elevated and the cartridges do not touch the printer housing.

Step one: Check the carriage and the cartridges

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Open the cartridge access door.
    Figure 26: Open the cartridge access door
    Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  3. Check to see if the carriage has moved into the cartridge access area.
    Figure 27: The carriage in the cartridge access area
    Image: The carriage in the cartridge access area
    • If the carriage has moved into the cartridge access area , skip to the next solution.
    • If the carriage is stuck under the printer cover, continue with these steps.
  4. If the carriage is stuck , check to see if the cartridges are jammed against the printer cover.
    Figure 28: The cartridges are jammed against the printer cover
    Image: The cartridges are jammed against the printer cover.
    The cartridges are seated properly if there is a gap between the cartridges and the printer cover. Continue to the next solution.
    Figure 29: Properly installed cartridges with a gap
    Image: Properly installed cartridges with a gap.
  5. Press the Power button to turn off the printer.
  6. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  7. Gently press down on the carriage with one hand, and then use the other hand to slide the carriage to the left so that the top of the magenta cartridge is visible.
    Figure 30: Pull the carriage to the left while pressing down
    Image: Pull the carriage to the left while pressing down
    When you can see the magenta cartridge, the carriage should drop down slightly, and you might hear a small click. This is expected behavior and indicates that the carriage is released.
    Figure 31: The magenta cartridge
    Image: The magenta cartridge
  8. Push the carriage back to the right while maintaining downward pressure on the carriage. You should be able to push the carriage all the way under the printer cover.
    Figure 32: Push the carriage under the printer housing.
    Image: Push the carriage under the printer housing
  10. Press the Power button to turn on the printer. The carriage moves into the cartridge access area.
    Figure 33: The carriage in the cartridge access area
  11. Close the cartridge access door.
    Figure 34: Close the cartridge access door
    Image: Close the cartridge access door.

Step two: Print a Printer Status Report

Solution six: Remove and reinsert the cartridges

Improper placement or installation of the cartridges can cause the printer to indicate a carriage jam error. Follow these steps to remove and reinsert the cartridges.

Step one: Remove and reinsert the cartridges

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the printer if it is not on already. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before continuing.
  2. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the access area.
    Figure 35: Open the cartridge access door
    Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  3. Press the tab on the front of the cartridge in to release it, and then pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.
    Figure 36: Remove the cartridge from the slot
    Image: Remove the cartridge from the slot.
  4. With the nozzle and contacts facing down, reinsert the cartridge into its slot. Press down on the cartridge until it clicks into place.
    Figure 37: Reinsert the cartridge
    Image: Insert the cartridge.
  5. Repeat these steps to remove and reinsert the other cartridges.
  6. Close the cartridge access door.
    Figure 38: Close the cartridge access door
    Image: Close the cartridge access door.

Step two: Print a Printer Status Report

Solution seven: Plug the All-in-One directly into a wall outlet

Follow these steps to plug the printer directly into a wall outlet, and then print a test page.

Step one: Plug the All-in-One directly into a wall outlet

Plug the printer directly into an electrical outlet to make sure that the power source functions correctly.
  1. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Unplug the power cord from any power strip or surge suppressor.
  3. Plug the power cord directly into an electrical outlet.
  4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  5. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the printer.

Step two: Print a Printer Status Report

*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience: I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It still doesn't work hence the bad rating.

Thank you for trying

The rating you gave goes on my personal record and affects my customer service score. I was doing my very best to help you. I would appreciate not getting a negative review as this reflects my service to you. I can only give you solutions based on the answers to the questions. If the solutions do not resolve the problem and you have performed them correctly then the printer hardware has failed. There is no way I can correct that online. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry. I understand but I have spent £28 pounds with no result. I am not happy.

I completely understand. That is why justanswer has the 100% satisfaction guarantee. There are times when the solutions offered do not correct the problem. You do not have to give a bad service rating. The rating affects my job. I do not have any control over a failed hardware component.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Randy,

I do not want to affect your job. But I did not want to spend £28 to no purpose. I'm sure your advise is the best but my printer still does not work.

Stu

JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee and you are not required to pay. Please remember I did my best to help under the circumstances. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied. >PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A REFUND<
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Randy,

I have now mended the printer. The carriage was blocked at the right by the device which goes under the cartridges when they are parked. I had to get my hand inside an move it back into place. I suspect your reply, while I did not see this particular problem, gave me the confidence to try this. Can I therefore change my rating to "satisfactory" and pay the £28.

Thanks for your help.

Stu

That's great.
I am glad to hear that you got it working.
Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Randy,

Printer is still working, fingers crossed. Thank you for your help. I have no more questions at the moment. Do I need to do anything else?

Stu

That's great!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I just wanted to be sure that everything is working .

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Thank you very much!