carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I have a DMR-BS850 free sat decoder with hard disc 500MB and

I have a DMR-BS850 free sat decoder with hard disc 500MB and blue ray recorder. I have had is for a few years with no problems. Recently when set to record future programs it will record only 6 to 20 minutes and stops. Can you help please?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

I am sorry but I think the hard drive may be failing, The hard drive should be able to be replaced by a local tv engineer. I am able to suggest local engineer to you if needed.

One thing I would suggest trying before you look at replacing the hard drive is to update the firmware.

Here is a link on how to upgrade your firmware on your player.

You will need it to be connected to the internet first.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dvd/download/xw350/nwdl.html

I don't think it is a firmware problem but it would be worth trying it first.

Carl

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pretty much my own thoughts. The clock still does not come on so I am unsure if the firmware is actually updating.

However if you could point me at a local TV engineer I would be grateful.

Bill

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bill,

Could you let me know your postcode area and I will find a local engineer for you.

Carl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl,

LL61 6SY.

I tried recording from a DVD onto the hard drive and it worked OK. Perhaps the hard drive is OK.

I have hooked up the machine directly to my router but it has not done what the link you sent me said it would do. Perhaps it is not updating firmware for some reason. I will take it to the local guy you recommend.

Many thanks,

Bill

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bill,

It could be the firmware is not updating correctly, It might be the player has the most up to date firmware and is not able to replace it with a clean copy. I am sure a local engineer will help. They will be able to check other parts like the power supply as well.

This engineer is on a trade forum I use but he is based in Caernarfon I don't know if that will be too far away.

http://www.caernarfon.tvrepairs.eu/

I found this engineer on a google search the seem to cover all of North Wales.

http://www.coastaltv.co.uk/