Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience:  13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience. Current Company Owner as an IT Specialist in FL.
27991594

Dear Sir, I have a NP350V5C laptop 16mths old. used as a pc

Dear Sir, I have a NP350V5C laptop 16mth's old. used as a pc replacement therefore no
physical bumps etc.
The laptop was working OK.,I switched it off for the night, next morning it would not turn on.
Charger is OK., battery is OK. also I have checked the laptop with a fully charge battery and charger from my other NP350V.
The computer is unresponsive, no power light, no lights illuminated on the the front edge,
no hard disk boot up.
I am at a loss as to why!,I can't check anything as it is completely dead.
HELP.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer, a fee based Question and Answer Company. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

I repair PC's and Laptop's all the way down to the component level and will use my training and experience to help you narrow this down.

You've already narrowed a lot of this down leaving only about 4 culprits:

1. Power Button or it's Ribbon Cable

2. Short in Motherboard. (Disconnect all Peripherals then power on).

3. Rectifier Circuit on Motherboard (Most common in PC's).

4. Dead 3V CMOS Battery. (5 year average life span).

Remove the Battery and Charger again then press and hold down the Power Button for 30 seconds to drain the Capacitors on the Motherboard. Place the Battery back in only and try to fire it up. Any response?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl, I have tried holding the power button for 30secs then replacing the battery, no response, tried item 2 no joy.

I will have to dissasemble the laptop to check item 1 and 4, hope it's not the motherboard.!!

I will get back to you later after checking 1 and 4.

Regards,

Laurie.

Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
Hopefully it's just the CMOS Battery that's died. It's what powers the BIOS Chip and answers the Power On command from the Power Button that then sends the signal to the Voltage Rectifier to power on the whole system. Use a Volt Meter on DC Setting to test the Battery. Anything under 3.00 Volts DC is considered bad. 3.00 - 3.20 Volts DC is good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX has given me hope of a simple fix. problem is how do I find the the CMOS Battery, is it easily accesable without having to strip the laptop down ?

Laurie

Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
It depends on the Laptop design. A quick way to tell is by looking at the bottom of the Laptop and removing the little plastic Panels where the Ram and Hard Drive is stored. Sometimes the little Battery is exposed there for easy access. If it's not then you have to tear it all down and remove the Motherboard completely to expose and test it.